Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 3724 Fermentation Temperatures  (Read 10952 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Wyeast 3724 Fermentation Temperatures
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2015, 06:13:53 pm »
That's what I figured, thanks for confirming my thoughts.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline bott scaker

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2021, 11:30:11 pm »
This yeast is a hungry killer -- amazing if temp right --becomes sour and peppery, not like black pepper, but kinda w/ fruity notes, absolutely wonderful, my new fav - no stall - only bubbles n suds like alka seltzer.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2021, 10:50:21 am »
I've used this yeast a ton, and high temps are unnecessary and probably do more harm than good. For this yeast strain, it needs the presence of oxygen and the absence of simple sugars to create the enzyme necessary for the extraordinary high attenuation we expect with a saison. I pitch a healthy starter into well oxygenated wort at about 66-68 degrees at let free rise to about 1 to 2 degrees a day. you must open ferment when you do a primary fermentation with this yeast, you can use a loose piece of foil over your airlock  or just crack the lid of your fermenter.  At about day 3-7 close up your fermenter and let finish normally.

Offline bott scaker

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2021, 01:13:40 pm »
So not true sorry for the conflict --i started out at 95 and it kept going and going and going and I used a carboy with blowoff tube and its perfect --dont use foil it makes no sense and/or diff in outcome, its pure conjecture and simply not the case with yeast pressure

Offline bott scaker

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2021, 01:19:54 pm »
Wyeast recommends the high temps and after or at 95 magic happens. There was test run for foil vs no foil and it made no diff and actually the craboy did better, so pls dont push the foil method and wyeast says same thing. Use 95 for as long as it wants to eat , I kept feeding it and it is sour and pepper and is amazing, just like  saison should be. [ ]) Cheers!

Offline bott scaker

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2021, 01:29:09 pm »
and @Cliffs, not saying your method won't or doesn't work, the foil is uneccssary and the all the trouble of how you do it is not a must or req for amazing outcomes.

Offline bott scaker

• 1st Kit

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2021, 02:17:43 pm »
https://brulosophy.com/2016/07/04/the-impact-of-back-pressure-on-the-saison-dupont-yeast-strain-exbeeriment-results/

A brewdude did an experiment with foil and w/ out

Marshall participated in the saison open ferment experiment we did on Experimental Brewing.  He was the ONLY one who didn't experience better fermentation through open fermentation.  And no one knows if it's back pressure or CO2 toxicity. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2021, 02:21:12 pm »
https://brulosophy.com/2016/07/04/the-impact-of-back-pressure-on-the-saison-dupont-yeast-strain-exbeeriment-results/

Marshall participated in the saison open ferment experiment we did on Experimental Brewing.  He was the ONLY one who didn't experience better fermentation through open fermentation.  And no one knows if it's back pressure or CO2 toxicity. 

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-18-saison-under-pressure

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/experiments/saison-yeast-airlock-vs-open-ferment-does-it-prevent-stall
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2021, 02:51:25 pm »
So not true sorry for the conflict --i started out at 95 and it kept going and going and going and I used a carboy with blowoff tube and its perfect --dont use foil it makes no sense and/or diff in outcome, its pure conjecture and simply not the case with yeast pressure

I've participated in some of the research re: diastatic yeast and glucoamalyse  production. Absence of simple sugars+ oxygen= enzyme production and high attenuation. There is no conjecture in what I am saying. We've even identified the genes necessary for this.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2021, 02:53:56 pm »

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-18-saison-under-pressure

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/experiments/saison-yeast-airlock-vs-open-ferment-does-it-prevent-stall

its neither. If 3724 was affected by co2 or pressure, then it would never bottle condition.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2021, 03:10:29 pm »
I've participated in some of the research re: diastatic yeast and glucoamalyse  production. Absence of simple sugars+ oxygen= enzyme production and high attenuation.

Are you saying absence of simple sugars and absence of oxygen or absence of simple sugars and presence of oxygen?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2021, 03:14:00 pm »
I've participated in some of the research re: diastatic yeast and glucoamalyse  production. Absence of simple sugars+ oxygen= enzyme production and high attenuation.

Are you saying absence of simple sugars and absence of oxygen or absence of simple sugars and presence of oxygen?

absence of simple sugars and the presence of oxygen. For 3724 this is what is needed for high attenuation. Some diastatic strains are compulsive enzyme producers and make it as a function of fermentation, 3711 being a good example of this.

Offline bott scaker

• 1st Kit
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2021, 09:04:41 pm »
All that aside, I am brewing with it at 95 and its magic and high attenuation and its sour and fruity peppery and it's magic. mine was carboy with blow off and its amazing, mine is high alcohol and high carb i cant wait to put it in my mini keg, say what you will all that jazz aint necessary my way allows for  FANTASTIC results - not using open ferment or low temps. To each his own method, mine works great and yours probably is very awesome in its own right, but not a must. [ ]) Cheers mate!

Offline bott scaker

• 1st Kit
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2021, 09:14:40 pm »
I shook the crap out of it every three to six hours for 10 days while it feasted on everything, it will eat a hole through your walls if you let it, watch your fingers with this strain it will eat them too. LOL

Like I said b4 it's a hungry killer that LOVES the killroom hot as balls. i could hear it sing praises to the heat as the bubbles ascended the meniscus through the bottleneck and into my nose with the sweet smell of magic.