Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 3724 Fermentation Temperatures  (Read 10872 times)

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
Re: Wyeast 3724 Fermentation Temperatures
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2021, 11:45:40 pm »
I find whether it stalls or not, it’s a great yeast. But 3726 is just as good, and never stalls. I like both
Shellharbour, NSW, Australia

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2021, 11:48:23 pm »
I've used this yeast a ton, and high temps are unnecessary and probably do more harm than good. For this yeast strain, it needs the presence of oxygen and the absence of simple sugars to create the enzyme necessary for the extraordinary high attenuation we expect with a saison. I pitch a healthy starter into well oxygenated wort at about 66-68 degrees at let free rise to about 1 to 2 degrees a day. you must open ferment when you do a primary fermentation with this yeast, you can use a loose piece of foil over your airlock  or just crack the lid of your fermenter.  At about day 3-7 close up your fermenter and let finish normally.

How much oxygen do you use? I just got an O2 setup, mainly for lagers but I like saison so I’ll try it . Though, I find a long, low temp mash without simple sugars will get me to 1.005 consistently without much effort regardless of if I’m using 3724 or 3726
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 11:50:28 pm by BeerfanOz »
Shellharbour, NSW, Australia

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2021, 07:50:50 am »
I've participated in some of the research re: diastatic yeast and glucoamalyse  production. Absence of simple sugars+ oxygen= enzyme production and high attenuation.

Are you saying absence of simple sugars and absence of oxygen or absence of simple sugars and presence of oxygen?

absence of simple sugars and the presence of oxygen. For 3724 this is what is needed for high attenuation. Some diastatic strains are compulsive enzyme producers and make it as a function of fermentation, 3711 being a good example of this.

Interesting.  Can you talk about who the experiment was for or what the methodology was?  I'm curious how that conclusion was reached.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell