Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coopers Ale Yeast  (Read 1542 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Coopers Ale Yeast
« on: February 15, 2015, 04:10:06 pm »
I have 2.5 year old packet of Coopers Ale yeast. It came off a coopers hopped extract kit. My cousin gave it to me. He gave up the hobby.

I am going to brew an English Blonde next weekend and I have on hand the pack of Coopers and a pack of Danstar Windsor.

What would I expect from the Coopers ester wise? Any comments on how Coopers tastes versus other English yeasts?

The Coopers packet is 7g. Should I make a starter? I will make a 6 gallon batch.

Is my packet of Coopers too old? I only know when my cousin bought it. I don't know how old the kit was before he brought it.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: Coopers Ale Yeast
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 04:15:10 pm »
I have 2.5 year old packet of Coopers Ale yeast. It came off a coopers hopped extract kit. My cousin gave it to me. He gave up the hobby.

I am going to brew an English Blonde next weekend and I have on hand the pack of Coopers and a pack of Danstar Windsor.

What would I expect from the Coopers ester wise? Any comments on how Coopers tastes versus other English yeasts?

The Coopers packet is 7g. Should I make a starter? I will make a 6 gallon batch.

Is my packet of Coopers too old? I only know when my cousin bought it. I don't know how old the kit was before he brought it.

hmmm...not knowing where that old yeast has been, i'd probably opt for purchasing some new. im not a big fan of windsor.

FWIW, S-04 or nottingham would be my choices.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 04:18:57 pm by Wort-H.O.G. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale