Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Postponing yeast starter - sick as a dog  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Network57

• 1st Kit
Postponing yeast starter - sick as a dog
« on: February 16, 2015, 04:18:38 am »
So I awoke today, brew day, sick as a dog, and in no mood to brew. I'm looking for ways on how to save my yeast starter for next weekend so I don't have to run out to the supply store and buy another vial.

The starter's been going since Friday night, and is in pretty good shape. I'm wondering if I can just pour off most of the wort, swirl around the slurry, and pour some into the original White Labs vial it came in (sanitized, of course), and put it in the fridge. And if that will work, would I (presumably) need to make another starter when I do get around to reusing it?

Thanks for the advice!

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: Postponing yeast starter - sick as a dog
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 05:05:36 am »
a week is generally as far as i like to go. any longer, id decant add some more wort and pitch when high krausen.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 07:41:12 am »
All you need to do is to stick the entire starter in your refrigerator.  If you intend to brew within the next two weeks, you do not need to do anything other than remove the starter from the refrigerator on brew day; otherwise, it is best to decant the supernatant (clear liquid about the culture), feed the culture more starter wort, and allow it to come to high krausen before pitching (chill and decant if you want to before pitching).   In the future, placing a starter in the refrigerator at high krausen will buy you quite a bit of time.

Offline Network57

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 12:33:25 pm »
Thank you both for your help!