Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash Tun Leak Question  (Read 3403 times)

Offline bendbrew

• Assistant Brewer
Mash Tun Leak Question
« on: May 10, 2010, 05:10:34 pm »
Sorry to be bothering all of you again.  As I prepare for my first all grain batch on Saturday, I am finalizing my equipment.  I just made a copper manifold for my 70qt Xtreme.  I have a stainless steel ball valve and bulkhead fitting.  There is a small drop that appears between the stainless steel ball valve and the brass lock nut going into the cooler.  I cannot seem to tighten that more.  Should I simply seal with food grade silicone?  Any recommendations on brand and where to find? 

Thanks,
Bill

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Mash Tun Leak Question
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 05:15:11 pm »
Did you use enough Teflon tape on all the connections?  It is a cheap, but necessary, remedy (costs $1 at HD or Lowes). 
The same thing happened to me the first time I assembled the cooler spigot.  If that isn't it, you may need a washer or an O-ring to snug it up.

Offline bendbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 05:20:11 pm »
I used the teflon tape and there are washers that came with assembly.  I think I will need to take it apart and see what is going on.  I am surprised that the leak is between the lock nut and the ball valve and not the b/w the lock nut and the cooler. 

Just glad that I am testing all my equipment before I "go live".

Thanks for all your assistance.

Bill

Offline lupy

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 06:57:27 pm »
Mine has a small leak too but as soon as I mash-in it stops. I never lose much more than a tablespoon.
$2 words for a 2ยข story

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 07:17:52 pm »
I used the teflon tape and there are washers that came with assembly.  I think I will need to take it apart and see what is going on.  I am surprised that the leak is between the lock nut and the ball valve and not the b/w the lock nut and the cooler. 

Just glad that I am testing all my equipment before I "go live".

Thanks for all your assistance.

Bill

Always better to spill a little water than to spill wort or beer!
use more teflon tape and tighten!  It'll probably stop it good.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 07:24:51 pm »
Mine has a small leak too but as soon as I mash-in it stops. I never lose much more than a tablespoon.

+1  Same here.  Actually I'm not even sure if it leaks anymore.  It had a very slow drip when I tested it after I converted it and I said "good enough".  I actually forgot about that until I saw this post so it's obviously not leaking too much if at all anymore  ;)
Clint
Wort Hogs