Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Just started a new arrogant bastard ipa clone  (Read 3407 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Just started a new arrogant bastard ipa clone
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 01:32:44 pm »
I guess you will have to gently stir the sugar solution into the bottling bucket and go from there. For you next batch though, I would but another fermenting  bucket with no spigot and run your fermentation in there, then when finished, you can add sugar solution to bottling bucket and rack beer onto the solution. Racking should evenly mix it together
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline wishbonebrew

• 1st Kit
  • make brew and war
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 02:24:49 pm »
I will deffinately do that. so let it sit for another two weeks before bottling you said?
HOOAH!!! BREWAHH!!

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 03:06:16 am »
All good advice above.  I'd let this one sit at least another week in the primary bucket.  As Frank said, after that week, you can still take a reading, let it sit 3 days and take another reading.  If the readings match you're safe to bottle.  If it were me, I'd use the waiting time to go buy another bottling bucket.  Then the only transfer you're doing is into the bottling bucket. 

Offline wishbonebrew

• 1st Kit
  • make brew and war
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 08:38:10 pm »
All good advice above.  I'd let this one sit at least another week in the primary bucket.  As Frank said, after that week, you can still take a reading, let it sit 3 days and take another reading.  If the readings match you're safe to bottle.  If it were me, I'd use the waiting time to go buy another bottling bucket.  Then the only transfer you're doing is into the bottling bucket.

That's what I was going to do actually. so my next batch should I use the carboy for my primary or what? if not im getting no use out of it lol
HOOAH!!! BREWAHH!!

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 09:19:06 pm »
You will use it eventually, but maybe not often.  My guess is your carboy is 5 gallons and your buckets are larger to accommodate for krausen during primary fermentation.  Not giving enough head space for krausen requires a blow off tube and even then can get messy. 

Offline wishbonebrew

• 1st Kit
  • make brew and war
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 09:34:22 pm »
my vaporlock is barely even bubbling anymore am I still good?
HOOAH!!! BREWAHH!!

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, 05:36:44 am »
Yes your still good.  Pay no attention to the airlock now.  What size is your carboy?  If it is 6 or 6.5 gallons you can use it for primary.  You may need a blow off tube if it is 6.  If it is 5 it will be good for dry hopping in secondary or long aging any high gravity beer.  Also I would have a bucket for Star San and make it with distilled water.  It will last indefinitely mixed with distilled.  Hard water can ruin the effectiveness of Star San.
I'm a little different in how I add the corn sugar.  I like to rack my beer to the bottling bucket, get accurate volume, then weigh my corn sugar.  There are calculators on line for figuring the amounts.  Being new you can just use a measuring cup.  I then boil a cup of water with the corn sugar, cool it, and mix into the beer gently with sanitized spoon.  Let it go for a few minutes and bottle.  Put the bucket on the counter. I then add a short piece of tubing to the valve on the bucket and add the bottle filler.  Put it on the counter and fill the sanitized bottles.  I just put the caps in a bowl covered with Star San and cap.  You get the theme, sanitize, sanitize, sanitize......Make sure you bottles are clean before sanitation.  Good luck and welcome to the addiction of brewing. 
Jeff B

Offline wishbonebrew

• 1st Kit
  • make brew and war
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2015, 10:22:09 am »
Yes your still good.  Pay no attention to the airlock now.  What size is your carboy?  If it is 6 or 6.5 gallons you can use it for primary.  You may need a blow off tube if it is 6.  If it is 5 it will be good for dry hopping in secondary or long aging any high gravity beer.  Also I would have a bucket for Star San and make it with distilled water.  It will last indefinitely mixed with distilled.  Hard water can ruin the effectiveness of Star San.
I'm a little different in how I add the corn sugar.  I like to rack my beer to the bottling bucket, get accurate volume, then weigh my corn sugar.  There are calculators on line for figuring the amounts.  Being new you can just use a measuring cup.  I then boil a cup of water with the corn sugar, cool it, and mix into the beer gently with sanitized spoon.  Let it go for a few minutes and bottle.  Put the bucket on the counter. I then add a short piece of tubing to the valve on the bucket and add the bottle filler.  Put it on the counter and fill the sanitized bottles.  I just put the caps in a bowl covered with Star San and cap.  You get the theme, sanitize, sanitize, sanitize......Make sure you bottles are clean before sanitation.  Good luck and welcome to the addiction of brewing.

THANKS coolman. yah its a 5 gallon carboy. I still have some hops. im transferring too the carboy saturday because im hardheaded and im going to let that sit another week. should I put some more hops in it? after that week ill do the transfer to the bottling bucket. all sanitized. my next batch I will do this whle operation a hell of a lot differently lol. im just a noob.
HOOAH!!! BREWAHH!!