Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ipa water addition help  (Read 9033 times)

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
Re: Ipa water addition help
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 04:03:30 pm »
i would think that "bottled water" would be $$$ is there any way you can just find an RO machine in one of your local grocery stores? i get 5 Gal for $2. 

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 04:33:40 pm »
If the Deer Park profile works, why not use that instead of starting w RO and adding stuff?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 04:39:44 pm »
i would think that "bottled water" would be $$$ is there any way you can just find an RO machine in one of your local grocery stores? i get 5 Gal for $2. 

Yep.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 05:15:53 pm »
Still need to get a water filter to use my local tap water and being its a 60 dollar brew I like to know my water is good lol

If you get a "filter" there are the ones that take out big particles like particulates, you can get an Carbon filter that takes out the chlorine/chloramines at low flow rates, and some metal ions. For the brewing ions, you want to get a nano filtration system or a Reverse Osmosis system. Those strip out a lot of the brewing ions, nano<RO. Nano has less water usage in backflushing, and higher flow rates, so that is attractive if it gets you to where you want to be.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 08:08:40 pm »
Yea I have been searching around abit and I'm thinking of getting one of the reverse osmosis systems for in the brewery/garage.  I'll have to look but don't think any of my local grocery stores have RO set ups.  The one use to but I think it never got used so they did away with it.  The bottled water is already in the $60 cause ingridents yeast and all was 49.99 water is 7-8 bucks then just need to get the gypsum, calcium chloride, and lactic acid and another thing of ph strips then I should be good to go but if I can find one of those RO stations I might just have to go that rout.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2015, 08:12:11 pm »
There is no such thing as a universal Deer Park water profile.  Deer Park draws their water from multiple sources.

http://www.bottledwaterweb.com/bottlersdetail.do?k=39

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2015, 08:47:28 pm »
Yea I'm not sure I thought they pulled from different areas too I dunno, but the water is better then my tap water for now so it makes it alittle but easier lol guess that will sorta botch my additions tho maybe I will try and find a ro station

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2015, 10:20:02 am »
So found out my local Walmart,  (I never go to that place) has a reverse osmosis machine so looks like I will be doing tht,  now my question when brewing with RO water how do you plug it into ezcalc,  I'm at work so not able to look right now but some pointers will help me out ool

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 06:56:15 pm »
Calcium(ppm), Magnesium (ppm), Sodium (ppm), Sulfate (ppm),Chloride(ppm), Bicarbonate (ppm)

RO Water   1, 0, 8 ,1 , 4 ,16

start with this from brunwater for RO

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 07:01:35 pm »

Yea I have been searching around abit and I'm thinking of getting one of the reverse osmosis systems for in the brewery/garage.  I'll have to look but don't think any of my local grocery stores have RO set ups.  The one use to but I think it never got used so they did away with it.  The bottled water is already in the $60 cause ingridents yeast and all was 49.99 water is 7-8 bucks then just need to get the gypsum, calcium chloride, and lactic acid and another thing of ph strips then I should be good to go but if I can find one of those RO stations I might just have to go that rout.

No walmarts near you? All ours have RO systems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline YooperBrew

• Cellarman
  • Beer Geek
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2015, 07:24:55 pm »
So found out my local Walmart,  (I never go to that place) has a reverse osmosis machine so looks like I will be doing tht,  now my question when brewing with RO water how do you plug it into ezcalc,  I'm at work so not able to look right now but some pointers will help me out ool

Awesome!  I use RO water for all of my IPAs (and many of my other beers)

Ideally, you'd keep the calcium at 70-100 ppm, chloride at 50 ppm (or under- that's fine), and you can go up on sulfate.  Some brewers like really high sulfate levels, like 300 ppm, for their IPAs but a more modest addition can be a great start if you're unsure.  A nice moderate level of 150-175 would be very nice.

Ignore the choride/sulfate ratio- that is meaningless, and target actual amounts.  You can go lower on the chloride- having a chloride level of 100 and a sulfate level of 100+ means a 'minerally' tasting beer.  Definitely drop the chloride to under 50 ppm (or even leave it out).  Target a mash pH of 5.4. 

The mash pH is the most important part of all of this- if your mash pH is too high, the other additions don't matter.  You can use 100% RO water with no additions and make a pretty good beer if the mash pH is still 5.3-5.5 (and I find that 5.4 is the 'sweet spot for IPAs).  EZ water always gets my estimates wrong, though.  I'd try bru'nwater or Brewer's Friend for the actual mash pH projection.  They seem to be far more accurate in their predictions.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2015, 07:36:10 pm »
I use McDole's water profile or Martin's Pale Ale profile from bur'n water. Both make great IPAs.

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2015, 07:53:05 pm »
Sweet I'll play around with bru'n water again it made me feel like I was look at a wall at first which is why I went to ezwater lol,  thanks guys and gal will get this all worked out and hopefully make the closest clone to heady I can get

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2015, 08:31:02 pm »
For the additions would this be gypsum, epson salt, calcium chloride, and lactic acid to drop ph in mash?  Or what other salts will I need to work my numbers

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2015, 06:03:32 am »
I use McDole's water profile or Martin's Pale Ale profile from bur'n water. Both make great IPAs.

+1
Jon H.