Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ipa water addition help  (Read 9077 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Ipa water addition help
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2015, 07:12:26 am »
I use gypsum, Epsom salt, CaCl, and canning salt.

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2015, 04:13:49 pm »
Yea I found mcdoles water profile,  thanks so much guys,  and yea I got the canning salt and Epsom at the house already now just need the gypsum and CaCl and the lactic to drop down the ph to 5.4

Offline Stevie

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2015, 04:23:59 pm »
Yea I found mcdoles water profile,  thanks so much guys,  and yea I got the canning salt and Epsom at the house already now just need the gypsum and CaCl and the lactic to drop down the ph to 5.4

Make sure the McDole profile you are using has ~18ppm magnesium. There is one floating around that shows 118. Using that much magnesium will keep you on the toilet for a while. I always forget to mention that.

From McDole - Ca-110ppm, Mg-18ppm, Na-17ppm, SO4-350ppm, Cl-50ppm
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=&t=18509

What I use for this profile is below. It's a bit about 50 lower on the SO4, but close enough for me. I use it for all hoppy beers.
Mineral - grams/gal
Gypsum - 1.6
Epsom - .7
Salt - .2
CaCl - .1

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2015, 04:33:39 pm »
Make sure the McDole profile you are using has ~18ppm magnesium. There is one floating around that shows 118. Using that much magnesium will keep you on the toilet for a while. I always forget to mention that.

Wow.  Better drink that one on the throne. Online info can be scary.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2015, 06:49:34 pm »
As is this. Yes, Mag Sulfate is a laxative. But the laxative dose for an adult is 10-15 grams of epsom salt. So at 118ppm, you're looking at like 10 liters. If you're drinking that much beer, then I'd be more worried about what's coming up the front than out the back.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2015, 07:25:18 pm »
As is this. Yes, Mag Sulfate is a laxative. But the laxative dose for an adult is 10-15 grams of epsom salt. So at 118ppm, you're looking at like 10 liters. If you're drinking that much beer, then I'd be more worried about what's coming up the front than out the back.

Cool. Aside from that, I wouldn't expect the flavor of 118 ppm Mg from Epsom to be very stellar, if nothing else.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2015, 07:35:55 pm »

While I may not drink 10l, I can drink 5, and I'm sure that would still make for a horrible afternoon.

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2015, 09:18:36 pm »
Yea thts the one I found with 18

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2015, 09:20:44 pm »
And thanks I'll give your additions the go on this batch and adjust to my liking after I see how this one turns out

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2015, 05:41:16 am »
While I may not drink 10l, I can drink 5, and I'm sure that would still make for a horrible afternoon.

My thoughts, too.
Jon H.

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2015, 02:47:12 pm »
Alright did alittle playing in ezcalc,  my ph is alittle high at 5.6 but was thinking if I add some ph stabilizer could draw me down to the 5.2-5.4 range

Additions
Mash:
2.5g gypsum
3.75G calc. Chloride
2g epson salt
Sparge:
2.6 gypsum
4 calc. Chloride
2.1 Epsom

Water after:
Ca-92
Mg-11
Na-3
Cl-100
SO4-126

Chloride/sulfate ratio .80

Tht look good or what else should I adjust for the high pb

I have never used epsom salt and typically I play with a mixture of gypsum and CaCl or just one of them. If needed, I may also add some 88% lactic acid if I need to bring pH down and "reduce" alkalinity. My water is really hard, so I also blend portions of my water with distilled water to get closer to my pH without adding too many minerals (i.e., 30% tap, 70% distilled).
Tap: Brandy Barrel Sour, Brett IPA, Tart Cherry Berliner, Sour Coffee Porter, Witbier, Helles Bock, Helles Bock Braggot, Strawberry "Nebraskambic," Raspberry Flanders
Secondary: OatRye Blonde, Plout Sour, Blueberry Ginger Sour
Primary:Belgian Dark Strong, Scottish Wee Heavy, American Session Wild Ale, Brandy Barrel "Lincolnambic"

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2015, 01:16:27 pm »
With the sparge additions could I just add them to the kettle or would going thru the grains add something?   I have heard both sides figured I would ask and see what you guys say

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2015, 01:26:09 pm »
And should I add the salts to my strike water while heating up or add after mashing in?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2015, 01:27:19 pm »
And should I add the salts to my strike water while heating up or add after mashing in?

Add to the water before heating it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2015, 01:28:03 pm »
With the sparge additions could I just add them to the kettle or would going thru the grains add something?   I have heard both sides figured I would ask and see what you guys say

Additions for pH adjustment should go in the tun.  Additions for flavor are fine in the kettle IMO.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell