Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Partigyling with One Boil Kettle.....?  (Read 1508 times)

Offline jweiss206

• Assistant Brewer
Partigyling with One Boil Kettle.....?
« on: February 10, 2015, 11:00:11 am »
I'm brewing a four gallon Old Ale this weekend (estimated OG 1.084) and am going to attempt a Mild out of the second running's. I only have one boil kettle however. I was curious if you can "store" the second running's in a sealed bottling bucket once the 2nd mash is complete then transferring it to the boil kettle once the Old Ale is finished (90 minutes + chill time). If not then I'm looking at a 2 hour+ mash time on the Mild or simply not attempting it until I have access to a second kettle.

Thanks guys

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Partigyling with One Boil Kettle.....?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 11:04:16 am »
I've done this a few times. I find the second runnings are highly fermentable due to all the extra time at conversion temp.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 12:34:53 pm »
I did it one time in an impromptu brew session, when I measured the late runnings at a buddy's house on a Big Scotch ale he was doing.  I ran off until about 1.010 and added back a little DME to make  60 schilling scottish ale that was great.  Thankfully I had some EKG at home and a slurry of yeast to do it.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 01:38:07 pm »
How are you heating sparge water? Can you batch sparge?

If so, collect enough from the mash for your old ale, then add enough 170F sparge water for your mild's gravity/volume. Seal up your mash tun and wrap it in a blanket until you've finished up the first boil, then collect the second runnings.

Your mash tun will hold temperature much more consistently than another kettle or bucket.

If you're heating sparge water in your kettle and no-sparging, just wait until after you've finished your first boil to sparge. The sealed/wrapped mash tun should keep the grainbed temp fairly consistent, and the low amount of water in the bed will minimize enzymatic action during the wait time.

Hope this helps. I did this a few times when I had smaller equipment. It makes for a long day, but its no big deal, especially if you start early!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline jweiss206

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 03:50:09 pm »

Yep, I batch can batch sparge. I'm going to heat up the water using a combination of two 12 quart pots. I've done some further research and it sounds like I'll be fine with a long mash. I'll make sure the cooler is insulated with blankets and raise the temp an extra few degree's assuming it'll drop a couple over that long a mash. Excited to see how this comes out.

Offline jweiss206

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 05:57:26 pm »

Yep, I batch can batch sparge. I'm going to heat up the water using a combination of two 12 quart pots. I've done some further research and it sounds like I'll be fine with a long mash. I'll make sure the cooler is insulated with blankets and raise the temp an extra few degree's assuming it'll drop a couple over that long a mash. Excited to see how this comes out.

Well I'll be damned. It worked. Brewed a 4 gallon batch of Old Ale at 1.091 and a 5 gallon Mild that came in at 1.034. The only addition to the Mild mash was 6 ounces of Chocolate Malt and 6 ounces of Victory. Gonna have to try this again. Assuming both come out respectively in the flavor department, that's 9 gallons of beer for less than $50. Long brew day for sure.