Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ordered a nuc and hive  (Read 1723 times)

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
Ordered a nuc and hive
« on: February 16, 2015, 10:27:18 am »
Have someone building me a hive and ordered meself a nuc.

Now if this unbelievable frigid cold ever ceases, maybe I can catch some bees... what do I do with 3 gallons of honey, though?  It takes long enough to get through 3 pounds!

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Ordered a nuc and hive
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 11:26:29 am »
Have someone building me a hive and ordered meself a nuc.

Now if this unbelievable frigid cold ever ceases, maybe I can catch some bees... what do I do with 3 gallons of honey, though?  It takes long enough to get through 3 pounds!
Make mead. And depending on where you live you may or may not get honey every year, I don't always. Last year I took off some partially filled and capped frames then had to give them back because we had a dry spell and they ate their stores in the brood chambers.
Given the winter we're having it might be all for naught, I might lose both of my hives and have to get a couple packages.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 11:29:50 am »
Just wondering: why are you starting out with a nuc instead of a package?

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 01:07:13 pm »
Fermenting seems obvious since you're here, but it's certainly an option.

You could sell some. Honey can fetch over $5/lb here. Or give it to friends and family. It would make great presents.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 01:28:58 pm »
A friend of mine started caring for bee hives last year.  He gave us a half pint jar of his first harvest.  He was joking that based on his start-up costs and size of his harvest that half pint would have to sell for about $250.   ;D

It was very tasty and so much lighter in body than the store bought honey.

Good luck with your hives!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 07:25:51 pm »

You could sell some. Honey can fetch over $5/lb here. Or give it to friends and family. It would make great presents.
I'd love to pay $5 a pound. I'm looking at $7-8 in my neck of the woods.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 06:03:20 am »

Eric, have you looked for local apiaries that sell in bulk? I can't produce enough honey for meadmaking so we buy 60 pound buckets for $205, so 3 something a pound from I guy we know. Comes with free beekeeping advice too. He sells the Same honey in little jars in Boston and NY for silly high prices.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 08:10:38 am »

Eric, have you looked for local apiaries that sell in bulk? I can't produce enough honey for meadmaking so we buy 60 pound buckets for $205, so 3 something a pound from I guy we know. Comes with free beekeeping advice too. He sells the Same honey in little jars in Boston and NY for silly high prices.
I only brew 3 or 4 small batches of mead a year. I'm typically looking at 5-8 pounds of honey per batch. So buying in bulk isn't necessarily the best option for me. I was able to get a 5-lb jar of good, local wildflower honey at my local dairy/bakery for $32 just a couple of years ago, but now it's up to $40. I'm kind of stuck in that middle ground between buying in bulk and the "honey bear bottle" customer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 08:30:09 am »

I only brew 3 or 4 small batches of mead a year. I'm typically looking at 5-8 pounds of honey per batch. So buying in bulk isn't necessarily the best option for me. I was able to get a 5-lb jar of good, local wildflower honey at my local dairy/bakery for $32 just a couple of years ago, but now it's up to $40. I'm kind of stuck in that middle ground between buying in bulk and the "honey bear bottle" customer.
Yep, its going up. The bulk 60# has gone from $150 (which it had been for a few years) to $205 in about 1 1/2 years.

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 05:51:10 pm »
Beekeeping is not a pleasant little hobby. It's a lot of work. Depending on the nectar flows in your area, they can need constant attention. If I knew then what I know now, I may have never taken up the challenge. When my garden is planted and the little buggers are out there pollinating their little hearts out and my harvest is once again better than ever, I will retract the previous statement. I will never again bristle at the high price of good quality local raw honey.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 09:19:51 am »
If you have it in your heart to become a keeper of bees you should definitely sell your excess into the local market. Even if you only have a pound or two in excess it shouldn't be that hard to find a local buyer or two who will take that off your hands. Local honey goes for $6-8/lb. at the cheapest places here.

There is a bee hive somewhere in the vicinity of my house and I get a lot of bees hanging out on my mint and basil plants when they flower. In combination with all the mesquite trees around the neighborhood there must be a hive full of unusual honey somewhere.

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 03:57:37 pm »
Beekeeping is not a pleasant little hobby. It's a lot of work. Depending on the nectar flows in your area, they can need constant attention. If I knew then what I know now, I may have never taken up the challenge. When my garden is planted and the little buggers are out there pollinating their little hearts out and my harvest is once again better than ever, I will retract the previous statement. I will never again bristle at the high price of good quality local raw honey.

This^^^
Been there done that. Had max production at 2 hives with 3 honey supers full on each hive.  Still have
some of the mead....its at 10 yrs old now..... :P
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.