Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Speidel staining  (Read 3376 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Speidel staining
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 11:15:52 am »

Ive noticed my plastic fermenters have gotten the aroma as well. Im wondering why i dont hear more people here using bar keepers friend?
Never tried it on plastic. I figure it would be far too abrasive.

+1.  I wouldn't use BKF in a plastic fermenter. With plastic being pretty porous, I could see it being tough to rinse completely (aside from scratching the plastic). I wouldn't chance it.
Jon H.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 03:55:45 pm »

Ive noticed my plastic fermenters have gotten the aroma as well. Im wondering why i dont hear more people here using bar keepers friend?
Never tried it on plastic. I figure it would be far too abrasive.

+1.  I wouldn't use BKF in a plastic fermenter. With plastic being pretty porous, I could see it being tough to rinse completely (aside from scratching the plastic). I wouldn't chance it.

I normally will sprinkle a little in the bottom of the fermentor then fill 1/2 gallon of hot water then use a paper towel to wipe the inside clean then rinse then starsan.
Jimmykx250

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 05:05:12 am »
As the others have said, I personally won't use anything abrasive on my plastic fermentors. Or if I did it would be a last ditch effort. A light bleach soak is all you need to get rid of staining and odor.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 08:38:39 am »
When u say light bleach just how do you do that? I've stayed away from bleach for fear of tasting it in the beer.
Jimmykx250

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 09:09:08 am »
I use abouy a half cup per 5 gallons or so. But this is what I am talking about when I say that homebrewers afraid of using bleach is like homebrewers sanitizing the mash tun. Bleach is fine as long as you rinse and let air dry. The problem with bleach is when it actually gets into your beer and then it doesn't take much to ruin it.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 09:14:47 am »
I use abouy a half cup per 5 gallons or so. But this is what I am talking about when I say that homebrewers afraid of using bleach is like homebrewers sanitizing the mash tun. Bleach is fine as long as you rinse and let air dry. The problem with bleach is when it actually gets into your beer and then it doesn't take much to ruin it.

Yep, same thing I do. Rinse with a ton of hot water and let it air dry. No worries.
Jon H.