Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: AHA offers not honored  (Read 3689 times)

Offline butter08

• 1st Kit
AHA offers not honored
« on: February 17, 2015, 06:25:29 pm »
Has anyone else had the blowoff when trying to use an AHA perk? I have a local joint that won't honor their offer and didn't know if anyone else had a similar situation.

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
Re: AHA offers not honored
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 06:48:34 pm »
Next time I go to tröegs im going to see if they honor the free tasting tour but this time of year is tuff for us to get down to Hershey one of these days lol,  that's a bummer they woln't honor it wonder if it was a change of ownership and the old owner honored it and the new owner has no clue about it

Offline butter08

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 06:53:19 pm »
Just to clarify, it isn't Troegs. I would rather not out the place but after 2 messages and a phone call I am not feeling good about the local place that will remain unnamed. I will reiterate that it is absolutely not Troegs.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 07:31:55 pm »
I have had one server tell me no. I asked him to ask another and he refused at first. In the end it worked out.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 07:42:25 pm »
Butter, did you show them the AHA website? I'm guessing the issue is likely to be ignorance.

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 07:46:52 pm »
No no I was saying I was going to see if they honor there's when I get down there lol after rereading it did come off that way tho lol

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 10:53:03 pm »
Next time I go to tröegs im going to see if they honor the free tasting tour but this time of year is tuff for us to get down to Hershey one of these days lol,  that's a bummer they woln't honor it wonder if it was a change of ownership and the old owner honored it and the new owner has no clue about it

Troegs (I really had to fight auto correct to get that name typed...) is awesome! I've made the trek from Philly a couple times. I didn't realize they offered an AHA perk, I'll have to test that out as well. And enjoy a giant grilled cheese while I'm there.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 04:40:19 am »
In my state it is illegal to give discounts on wine, beer and liquor to a specific few. If you give a discount to one you have to make it available to everyone. At least that is how I have interpreted the law to read.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 06:26:47 am »
Some servers have not been informed it often seems. Our process is to have them ask the manager. If that does not work we don't let it bother us, we have the beer and move on.

You can contact the AHA about the establishment.
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/contact-us/

Keith is right, some states don't allow it. Look at Washington state, and the only places listed are homebrew shops.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 07:13:30 am »

In my state it is illegal to give discounts on wine, beer and liquor to a specific few. If you give a discount to one you have to make it available to everyone. At least that is how I have interpreted the law to read.
I think texas is the same. Most places offer the deal on food only.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 07:17:08 am »
I've run into the situation where the server doesn't know anything about it or they say I don't think we honor this anymore but then come back with the discount taken off.

I had one bartender who was very friendly all night with our group and when we presented our cards, turn almost nasty.  Maybe she thought she was getting stiffed on the tip.  We tipped on the pre-discount amount.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 08:00:15 am »
Its true some states don't allow it but you would think if an establishment is on a list of those who do that wouldn't be the case.
As far as I know these offers are never huge savings, so no big deal, but things like this can tell you a lot about how a place is run. If they do indeed have an offer and a server doesn't know, or doesn't know to double check if unaware, the proprietor isn't doing a good job at that and almost certainly many other things.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline stevep

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 09:02:16 am »
Has anyone else had the blowoff when trying to use an AHA perk? I have a local joint that won't honor their offer and didn't know if anyone else had a similar situation.

Hi Butter,

I'm sorry to hear you had trouble with an AHA Member Deal. It's rare for a business to discontinue participation in the program. Due to employee turnover, or participating locations that may not get a lot of AHA member traffic, there can be a lack of communication regarding participation over time resulting in errors like this.

Fortunately, when AHA members alert us of these kinds of occurrences it can be fixed with a quick phone call or email to the owner or original contact that established the offer.

Please reach out to me directly (steve@brewersassociation.org) to get this taken care of.

Furthermore, I welcome any and all AHA members to contact me with potential businesses in their area that they would like to see involved in the program. It always helps to hear from the AHA members where they would like to see offers coming from, and growing the program's list of more than 1,000 businesses is an ongoing effort of AHA staff.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve Parr
Assistant Director
American Homebrewers Association

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 09:39:01 am »
Some servers have not been informed it often seems. Our process is to have them ask the manager. If that does not work we don't let it bother us, we have the beer and move on.

Keith is right, some states don't allow it. Look at Washington state, and the only places listed are homebrew shops.

I live in Washington. 

While it's illegal for the AHA or BA to advertise discounts to their members, many establishments do give a discount.  I'm sure many of you noticed that at NHC a couple years back.  It has something to do with the fact that the BA owns the AHA. 

But when in Washington, just ask. 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 09:50:10 am »

I live in Washington. 

While it's illegal for the AHA or BA to advertise discounts to their members, many establishments do give a discount.  I'm sure many of you noticed that at NHC a couple years back.  It has something to do with the fact that the BA owns the AHA. 

But when in Washington, just ask.
Good to know for next time in WA.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!