Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Michigan Hops Farms Expanding.  (Read 3211 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Michigan Hops Farms Expanding.
« on: February 19, 2015, 09:06:18 am »
Michigan is the #4 state for acres of hops grown, with a whopping 300 acres strung this year. If this goes through it will more than double that.
 http://michiganradio.org/post/investors-move-michigan-hops-industry
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Michigan Hops Farms Expanding.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 09:15:10 am »
Very cool. I wonder if any of their hops will make it to homebrewers or if they're gonna be a brewery only operation ?
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 09:29:12 am »
Talking with some hop growers in NC, they said the yield is lower there than MI, about 25% of Yakima. They become very competitive for the fresh hops, as they do not have the express shipping charges.

I know a guy who has 1/4 to 1/2 acre of hops. All of those go to Arcadia for a fresh hop beer.

If you are in Grand Rapids go to Siciliano's, they sell some MI hops packaged for the homebrewer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 09:36:13 am »
I asked about homebrewers because there's a new hop farm opening in Central Indiana that looks to be growing a fair number of varieties, but advertises on their site "sorry, no homebrewers". Bummer.

http://www.sugarcreekhops.com/
Jon H.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 09:57:11 am »
Top Hops in Goodrich, MI has had a wet hop event the past couple years that has been a lot of fun.  I only participated last year but I really enjoyed it... I enjoyed the beer I produced as well. (English Barleywine)
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 11:31:12 am »
While attending a hop conference here in Ohio two weeks ago, a fellow mentioned to me that one of the big players in Yakima was considering establishing some test acreage (200A?) in Northern MI. $2000/A in MI is quite a savings from what land is going for in the Yak Valley.  Business is business I guess. 

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 11:41:26 am »
I've been meaning to post an observation of mine.  This Winter I have noticed a BIG increase in new hop fields going in.  There is one about 2 miles from my house that alone is probably 200 acres.  And it is just one of at least a half-dozen new fields I've seen.

Apparently the thinking is that there is another hop shortage coming up - or at least good profit margins to be made in the next few years.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 11:42:07 am »
While attending a hop conference here in Ohio two weeks ago, a fellow mentioned to me that one of the big players in Yakima was considering establishing some test acreage (200A?) in Northern MI. $2000/A in MI is quite a savings from what land is going for in the Yak Valley.  Business is business I guess.

Wonder where in N. MI?

The guys I know on teh brewing side like some of the qualities of the Chinook and Cascade from MI. They say the aromatics are very nice.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 12:29:00 pm »
Looking good, Michigan. I have really enjoyed the beers that have been made with Michigan hops. My wife and I bought a farm a month ago, and are looking to plant hops next year. Lots of research to do still.
Kyle M.

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 10:37:07 pm »

Wonder where in N. MI?

The guys I know on teh brewing side like some of the qualities of the Chinook and Cascade from MI. They say the aromatics are very nice.

Don't quote me but I think I remember hearing near TC?  I did get some of the 'pineapple' Chinook from Jeff & Bonnie but haven't tried them yet.

Apparently the thinking is that there is another hop shortage coming up - or at least good profit margins to be made in the next few years.

I've seen some unbelievable numbers on the planned expansions and have to think it's all tied to contracts.  Lots of brewers, especially the new ones, are tired of ending up with the 'scraps' that may or may not be there after all the contracts are filled so they're finally contracting.  And you're right when saying that hop prices are finally rising.  Not a whole lot, but enough to justify the growers investment in some additional acreage.  I've heard from a few sources that there could be a downside to the expansions in that there will come a point that additional drying capacity will be needed to get the crop dried in a timely manner, and I guess a new dryer can run in the millions?  Get ready to pay a little bit more for your hops in the next few years to help finance the dryers.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 06:48:32 am »
I asked about homebrewers because there's a new hop farm opening in Central Indiana

The plan is to hold the Indiana state-wide Brew-B-Q at the Sugar Creek farm this summer, before the hops are harvested (August). Indiana brewers should 'like' the Brew B Q page on Facebook in order to keep up to date as to the plans for the event.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 06:50:25 am »
I asked about homebrewers because there's a new hop farm opening in Central Indiana

The plan is to hold the Indiana state-wide Brew-B-Q at the Sugar Creek farm this summer, before the hops are harvested (August). Indiana brewers should 'like' the Brew B Q page on Facebook in order to keep up to date as to the plans for the event.

Thanks for the info , Martin !
Jon H.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 08:26:41 am »
I'd like to try some Michigan hops and even malt. The Belle's Barley wine from the NHC last year made with Michigan hops and malt was very nice.
Dan Chisholm

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 08:30:31 am »
Cap 'n Cork in Macomb, MI also sells some Michigan hops.  I forget what Hop Farm they are from though.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 08:49:49 am »
Martin, I'm having trouble finding their page on FB, can you double check it. I have found a couple with close to that name but they are in Iowa and Oregon,  so I don't think they are what you were talking about
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)