Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Michigan Hops Farms Expanding.  (Read 3243 times)

Offline hoprod

• 1st Kit
Re: Michigan Hops Farms Expanding.
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 11:48:58 am »
I can't remember the exacts, but there are 200-400 new acres of hops going in the ground in Michigan this year.  Most of that is related to a couple very big farms with a lot of money behind them.  I know one of heads of the MI Hop Growers has said he expects Michigan to be at 1,000 acres by the 2017 harvest.

Offline hoprod

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 11:51:24 am »
Found the link to where one of the big farms is going, in Acme Township, just outside of Traverse City.

http://www.traverseticker.com/story/prominent-golf-course-sold-to-become-hops-farm

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 08:35:15 am »

Offline hoprod

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 11:27:28 am »
It's been a lot of fun getting to know some of the new, smaller growers throughout Michigan, but if Michigan is ever going to become a major player in the hop growing world, this is a positive step.  The localization of beer as a theme in many cases helps the little growers out, but overall, the brewers are only going to be so patient when taking a product that doesn't have the same quality standards as what you can get from a corporate farm that has sophisticated harvesting and packaging technology.  A survey I sent out to dozens of brewers last year supported what I suspected, they want to help the local growers out, but if they want to do serious business quality has to improve.

Stan H. has spoken at length about the costs of adding acreage in Yakima, and based on what I'm told by the growers up there, the Traverse City area might have the best hop growing climate in the country outside of the Pacific NW.  I'm sure there's plenty of debate on that topic, but if the price is right for acreage, seeing expansions like this in the future probably won't be shocking.

Offline beerstache

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 03:11:56 pm »
Just read the article in the Record-Eagle about the new hop farm.  It's a group of investers from the Traverse City area and is called "MI Local Hops".  They will eventually plant 400 acres on an old abandoned golf course
in Wiliamsburg, MI.  They are about 10 miles from where I live, might be my next career move.  They have all the hop support post piled up near M-72 highway when I drove by last.