Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Zymatic has landed!  (Read 10636 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: The Zymatic has landed!
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2015, 03:32:07 pm »
Just ran it through the rinse cycle.  When I turned it on, the first thing that happened was that it signed onto my wifi network!  Something that mu cooler has never done...;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2015, 06:54:40 am »
My LHBS just got one of these and are brewing up SMASH recipes to compare different malts and hops, awaiting some finished b3rs to see how they turn out. Its a pretty cool machine and takes up very little space
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2015, 09:30:41 am »
My LHBS just got one of these and are brewing up SMASH recipes to compare different malts and hops, awaiting some finished b3rs to see how they turn out. Its a pretty cool machine and takes up very little space

Yeah, it's sitting on my kitchen table right next to my laptop.  I'll be starting the brew in the next couple hours and will post video.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2015, 12:38:17 pm »
OK, I'm 30 min. into a 90 min. mash.  Here are some vids of the beginning of the process...

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2015, 01:01:51 pm »
This thing is basically a no sparge RIMS system.  The mash recirculate the whole time.  You hook a keg of water up to it to start, then it recircs through the heating elements until it's up to temp.  Then it pumps the water into the mash chamber and keeps recircing.  My temp is holding EXACTLY where I set it!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2015, 01:12:07 pm »
Denny, is this the 110 or 220v model?  How long for your mash to get up to temp?
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2015, 01:19:14 pm »
Denny, is this the 110 or 220v model?  How long for your mash to get up to temp?

110.  I can look at my online brew session log and see it took about 45 min.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2015, 02:24:26 pm »
My temp is holding EXACTLY where I set it!

Haha. It's pretty exciting, ain't it? Welcome to RIMS Denny!  8)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2015, 02:38:10 pm »
Ok...silly question #2.  What is the steam output on this thing?  Is it pretty much self-contained?
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2015, 02:50:09 pm »
Ok...silly question #2.  What is the steam output on this thing?  Is it pretty much self-contained?

I set it up in the laundry room becasue I just had my kitchen cabinets refinished and I was worried about steam.  I don't see or feel ANY at all!  2 more pluses I just thought of...since it's a 2.5 gal. batch, you don't need to make a yeast starter for most batches.  Saves $$ on DME.  And since you boil in the keg you;re going to ferment in, you don't have to sanitize a fermenter.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2015, 05:25:53 pm »
And since you boil in the keg you;re going to ferment in, you don't have to sanitize a fermenter.

It conducts the boil inside a corny keg?  How exactly does that work?

Does it also chill wort?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2015, 06:16:06 am »
What if you lose internet access during the brew? My router seems to be in need of a reset quite often these days.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2015, 09:41:17 am »
And since you boil in the keg you;re going to ferment in, you don't have to sanitize a fermenter.

It conducts the boil inside a corny keg?  How exactly does that work?

Does it also chill wort?

It recirculates the wort between the keg and an internal heating element in the Zymatic.  Technically, it doesn't actually boil in the keg, but the keg is holding boiling wort throughout the boil time.  It does not chill.  The usual method is to put the keg in a bucket of ice water while the machine continues to recirc and monitor the temp.  When you get to your preset pitching temp, it shuts off.  You can also stop it pre chilling and just remove the keg of hot wort and put it in your fermentation chamber to cool, or you can do something like run the wort through a CFC or plate chiller instead.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2015, 09:42:55 am »
What if you lose internet access during the brew? My router seems to be in need of a reset quite often these days.

Damn good question since where I live internet outages are frequent.  I didn't have one during the brew, but when I wanted to run the cleaning cycle afterward my internet was out.  I had to wait for it to come back before I could clean it!  That really doesn't make sense to me.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2015, 11:35:31 am »

Damn good question since where I live internet outages are frequent.  I didn't have one during the brew, but when I wanted to run the cleaning cycle afterward my internet was out.  I had to wait for it to come back before I could clean it!  That really doesn't make sense to me.

yeah that's concerning. makes it seem like there's no on board software able to run independently of their web based controller.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: