Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian Dubbel  (Read 5236 times)

musseldoc

Belgian Dubbel
« on: February 19, 2015, 11:24:28 am »
Both of these grain bills come in at the same SRM (~17.5) and OG (~1.078).  Assuming I use the same yeast and an appropriate IBU with each grain bill, what flavor differences would you expect between the two variations of the same recipe?  Is one more appropriate than the other for a belgian dubbel?

Variation 1:
71.5% Belgian Pils
7% Belgian Aromatic
7% Belgian Special B
14.5% plain white sugar (sucrose)

Variation 2:
39.25% Belgian Pils
39.25% Belgian Munich
7% Belgian Special B
14.5% plain white sugar (sucrose)

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
Re: Belgian Dubbel
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 11:54:44 am »
My instinct tells me that the version with Munich malt could potentially have a more bready, malty, and melonoidin-rich flavor. It would also likely make your wort slightly less fermentable, as compared to the  recipe with the majority of pils malt. Honestly, Belgian beers are really characterized by their yeast, so that should play a very important role in how you want your final product to turn out. Good luck!
Tap: Brandy Barrel Sour, Brett IPA, Tart Cherry Berliner, Sour Coffee Porter, Witbier, Helles Bock, Helles Bock Braggot, Strawberry "Nebraskambic," Raspberry Flanders
Secondary: OatRye Blonde, Plout Sour, Blueberry Ginger Sour
Primary:Belgian Dark Strong, Scottish Wee Heavy, American Session Wild Ale, Brandy Barrel "Lincolnambic"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 12:27:36 pm »
IMO, a dubbel MUST have candi syrup.  Until I started using it, my dubbels didn't taste like dubbels.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 12:31:41 pm »
IMO, a dubbel MUST have candi syrup.  Until I started using it, my dubbels didn't taste like dubbels.

^^^   I like dark syrup (like D180) and special B together.  Either recipe would be good with the dark syrup. Gotta have it IMO.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 01:22:55 pm »

^^^   I like dark syrup (like D180) and special B together.  Either recipe would be good with the dark syrup. Gotta have it IMO.
+2 - I have also used a combo of D-90 and D-180, plus Special B with good results.

I love aromatic malt, but in my dubbel I typically leave it out. I use a 50-50 mix of Belgian Pils and Belgian Pale Ale malt for my base malt. I get good malt character from it, but still get the attenuation I'm looking for in a dubbel.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 01:24:34 pm »
Spec B and dark candy syrup guy here

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 01:47:15 pm »

Agree, they don't have to have Special B, but they do have to have candi syrup.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 02:48:48 pm »

Yeah, I found that for my tastes I need both.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

musseldoc

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 09:20:41 pm »
I guess maybe what I should ask is if 50% of a Munich base malt is too much for the style.  Too melanoidin rich?  Too bready and toasty?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 05:18:57 am »
I guess maybe what I should ask is if 50% of a Munich base malt is too much for the style.  Too melanoidin rich?  Too bready and toasty?

I think you want to go majority of pilsner malt for the base malt. You want the beer to have an almost dry "crispness" to it.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 06:11:13 am »

I think you want to go majority of pilsner malt for the base malt. You want the beer to have an almost dry "crispness" to it.
I agree. A little bit of melanoidin character would probably be ok, but the breadiness might be a bit much. To me, a good dubbel is crisp and easy drinking, with the right balance of dark fruit and Belgian yeast character.

I know yeast strain hasn't come up yet, but I like WY1762 a lot for this style. WY3864 (Unibroue) is another good one for this style, and I think it is out as a limited release right now. They both have a nice plummy note that compliments the Special B and dark syrups quite well.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 06:23:35 am »

I know yeast strain hasn't come up yet, but I like WY1762 a lot for this style. WY3864 (Unibroue) is another good one for this style, and I think it is out as a limited release right now. They both have a nice plummy note that compliments the Special B and dark syrups quite well.

+1.  Both great strains.
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 09:10:59 am »
That much munich malt will make the beer taste malt-heavy which isn't what you want in this style. You want a malt platform for all those fruit and caramel flavors to distinguish themselves. Too much maltiness is going to drown some of those flavors. If you're afraid too much pilsner will make the beer too grainy or not malty enough then I'd replace the munich with pale malt  or a combination of pale and munich in which munich is at most 15% of the recipe.

I agree with what has been said above about needing to use candy syrups to obtain the classic dubbel character.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 09:37:25 am »
I agree. A little bit of melanoidin character would probably be ok, but the breadiness might be a bit much. To me, a good dubbel is crisp and easy drinking, with the right balance of dark fruit and Belgian yeast character.

I think 1762 is great for BDSA, but for dubbel I stick with the classic 3787.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 10:09:53 am »

Back in the day, I used dark candi sugar and thought that was the trick, but the syrups are definitely indispensable.

I think 1762 is great for BDSA, but for dubbel I stick with the classic 3787.

I don't think I've ever used 3787 for a dubbel.  I might have to try it.

There are strains I would avoid for a dubbel, such as the Ardennes strain.  I know there's another but I can't think of it at the moment.

I've got one headed to NHC fermented with the Unibroue strain.  It's quite nice.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton