Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling sour. will I need to ad yeast  (Read 1710 times)

Offline andyi

• Assistant Brewer
Bottling sour. will I need to ad yeast
« on: February 20, 2015, 05:52:32 am »
Howdy,

I have a saison I fermented with WY3522 for two weeks racked to secondary then added dregs from a Jolly Pumpkin Bam Noir.  Its been two months on the dregs and is just what I wanted with a soft brett flavor and cherry pie aromas. 
I believe it is ready to bottle and since I racked off of the primary yeast and the dregs will have further chewed the sugars,  will need to re-yeast and if so should it be we something like champagne yeast or another wine yeast. I shooting for 2.5 carb.

Cheers

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Bottling sour. will I need to ad yeast
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 05:57:39 am »
In my experience youd be fine without. It may take a month or two to carb up.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 07:50:26 am »
What Jim said.  But if you want it faster, then add Champagne yeast.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 08:35:03 am »
The beer is probably three months or so old at this point. I am a proponent of re-yeasting aged beers (both sour and not sour) but this beer is probably not old enough that there isn't enough active yeast to carbonate the beer. I wouldn't worry about it myself.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 10:11:48 am »
What is the FG now? Unless the beer was really dry out of primary, you probably still have some gravity drop left.

You can still bottle, just keep it in mind. Use heavy glass bottles (if you can), but if not, just open one every so often to monitor carb levels.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline slarkin712

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 01:00:55 pm »
You used just a single bottle of dregs for a 5 gallon batch?  And that got you enough flavor in 2 months?  I've always wondered if such a small amount of Brett would get the job done fast enough.  I've always dosed my post primary ferment Brett beers with 1/2 or a whole Brett Wyeast smack pack.  And sometimes I would supplement that with bottle dregs.  Usually took at least 3 months to get a notable Brett flavor.  Those Jolly Pumpkin dregs must have some aggressive critters.

Offline andyi

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 02:55:00 pm »
Thanks everyone!

slarkin712. it was a 3 gal batch and I had heard on the BN when they were doing a JP Bam Biere clone that JP dregs worked fast. I'm a believer!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 04:51:32 pm »
BN is awesome. Trust but verify though. Some stuff awesome, some stuff pulled out of thin air. (Qualifier, I have not heard the Sour Hour yet. But the others.... trust but verify)

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 12:17:24 am »

Thanks everyone!

slarkin712. it was a 3 gal batch and I had heard on the BN when they were doing a JP Bam Biere clone that JP dregs worked fast. I'm a believer!

Kyle told me that JP dregs are addressing and he was right.  1/2 G starter has a pellicle after a month.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 12:23:08 am »

BN is awesome. Trust but verify though. Some stuff awesome, some stuff pulled out of thin air. (Qualifier, I have not heard the Sour Hour yet. But the others.... trust but verify)

Hell yeah Jim!  The BN is awesome!  I've learned as much from their podcasts as I have from here.  I'm not sure what you mean by pulling stuff "out of thin air" though.  Maybe in some early podcasts from 2005ish but that would be the same here.  The AHA forum is he best homebrewing forum around.  The BN podcasts are on the same level.
Brian
mobrewer