Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How much chocolate extract for a 5 gal. batch?  (Read 7860 times)

Offline beerstache

• Cellarman
How much chocolate extract for a 5 gal. batch?
« on: December 12, 2011, 03:59:38 pm »
Hey all,
I just made a Chocolate Oatmeal Stout with 1 oz cocoa powder added at flameout.  Not too much Choc. flavor at all, if any.
I was planning on adding choc. extract at bottling time for more flavor.  Any suggestions on how much to use from your experiences?
Thanks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: How much chocolate extract for a 5 gal. batch?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 10:17:39 am »
The best thing to do is determine it empirically.  Pour 4 2 oz. samples of the beer and add a different, measured amount to each.  Taste and determine which you like best, then scale the amount up to your batch size.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 11:41:09 am »
A 5 gal batch of robust porter came out very nice with 6 oz. unsweetened bakers cocoa added at the 15 min remaining mark, and
approx 3/4 cup of creme de cocoa (this was added by Denny's method of taste at increments) after 5 days in the fermenter.

I hopped conservatively and the cocoa actually provided a nice amount of bitterness. The chocolate is just detectable in the
aroma, a nice tease on the pallet and a pleasant lingering chocolate in the finish. I like my beers to taste true to their base styles
and the additional ingredients to be a pleasant surprise to your taste buds.  This amount produced what I was looking for.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 12:01:36 pm »
I tend to use 8 oz of unsweetened cocoa powder at flameout for chocolate beers.  Also you want to try and take a lot of that chocolate sludge with you on its way to the carboy.  The longer you leave it on the chocolate the more flavor its going to get from it(of course you dont want to leave it on so long to get yeast autolysis).

Cocoa nibs in the secondary is also good for chocolate flavor.

Chocolate syrup to me tastes awful

I've never tried chocolate extract, Denny's method is best.  You also want to consider how long you want to age the beer.  Age tends to mute flavorings, so if you're doing something like an Imperial Stout where youre aging for a long period of time you may want to add a bit more than you would think you'd need.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline beerstache

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 03:43:32 pm »
I added 2 oz. extract at bottling, forgot to mix after adding the beer.  The first few bottles had a strong choc. flavor, then realized I need to stir it up!  After stirring, it has a nice subtle choc. flavor that complements the choc. malt and other roasted grains.
I might kick it up a notch next time, will see how this ages and if it loses any flavoring over time.
Thanks All!