Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hulk Smash  (Read 1696 times)

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Hulk Smash
« on: February 20, 2015, 10:50:48 am »
Guess I don't know my own strength. Hit the WY Smackpack too hard and now there's Roselare sprayed everywhere. Dangit!  :o >:(

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: Hulk Smash
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 10:55:22 am »
Guess I don't know my own strength. Hit the WY Smackpack too hard and now there's Roselare sprayed everywhere. Dangit!  :o >:(

oh man. i don't use wyeast that often (LHBS doesn't carry it) but when I do order it and use, I often wondered about if I was going to blow it open!
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 11:33:24 am »
I wish they wouldn't call them smack packs.  It just encourages people to hit them too hard.  I just locate the nutrient pouch, move it to a corner of the pack, put it on a counter and press.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 11:42:50 am »
I normally use WhiteLabs but I wanted the Roselare blend. I'll know to be more gentle next time!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 12:48:11 pm »
I've blown out two packages of 1056.  For what it's worth I lay them down on a counter, find the packet and push (not smack) the packet till it pops.  Both times it was the side seam that opened up.  I was able to salvage one but the other was a total loss.

It been in the last year that both packages went bad.  I had never had it happen in all the years I've used Wyeast until now.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 12:55:41 pm »
I normally can work the little nutrient ball up into the corner and push down hard enough to pop it, but now and then you get one that's a rebel. I figure if I'm making a starter anyway, all is good. Surprised I've never busted a package open.
Jon H.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 01:00:04 pm »
the last one I popped was a little inflated already.  It was probably a little older or had gotten warm at some point.  I don't recall if the fist one was swelled at all.  That could make it more prone to happen I guess. 

I always assume stuff like that is somehow my fault.  Like twisting a bolt off when tightening it down.  8^)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 01:06:24 pm »
I normally can work the little nutrient ball up into the corner and push down hard enough to pop it, but now and then you get one that's a rebel. I figure if I'm making a starter anyway, all is good. Surprised I've never busted a package open.

yeah that 3711 i just got was squirting away from me everytime i tried to corner it and pop it.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 01:10:39 pm »

yeah that 3711 i just got was squirting away from me everytime i tried to corner it and pop it.

Yeah I get all OCD about it - I use nutrients anyway.  Sometimes it's just the principle of it !
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 02:33:38 pm »

The worst is when you are finally able to pop the pack, but the hole you spent five minutes trying to make is so small that you have to work another five minutes to get the goodness out.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 03:59:44 pm »
I wish they wouldn't call them smack packs.  It just encourages people to hit them too hard.  I just locate the nutrient pouch, move it to a corner of the pack, put it on a counter and press.

Ditto, although since the recession pushed me into early retirement I mostly use dry yeast.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 04:39:53 pm »
I had that happen once when I was showing my mother-in-law how the smack packs work.  She ended up showered in yeast, and was not too happy with me...