Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew day efficiency ideas  (Read 2240 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Brew day efficiency ideas
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 07:33:26 am »
I have been able to move from brewing 5 gallons once a month to 2.5 gallons once per week biab. I find it easier to find 3 hours or so on a weeknight than 5 hours on a weekend. Also I don't have a dedicated brew area so biab helps because I can do it in the kitchen with less equipment. I usually crush the night before, measure water in the morning, letting it come to room temperature. I turn the stove on as soon as I get home usually about 5:15. I'm finished by 8:30 if its an average gravity. Usually I have something ready to go in the oven as that heat from that helps hold mash temp. Supper happens during the boil then sanitation. I pitch yeast the following morning. I still do 5 gallon batches outside batch sparging when possible. And yea I've learned that drinking while doing other things isn't as fun as it sounds. If at all I pop one open during the boil after sanitizing. Having a system that is consistent has been the most important part of making brewing more relaxing. And oh yea, it makes for better beer.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 07:35:18 am »
FWH Is first wort hopping. Putting the bittering charge in the pot with the first runnings rather than at 60 min.

WP is whirlpool.  They go in after the boil and once the wort gets down to a certain temp, then held at that temp for X time while the wirlpool continues.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 02:25:45 pm »
I use electric bucket heaters on a timer to have strike water ready when I wake up and want to start mashing.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"