Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stone Delicious IPA  (Read 3404 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Stone Delicious IPA
« on: February 20, 2015, 05:49:35 pm »
Found one six pack locally. I had never heard of it before and learn to find out that it's new this year. Supposedly it's reduced gluton. I don't see much the point unless it's completely glutton free which you can't get with barley. That being said, I really don't care about that lol. It's hopped with lemon drop and el dorado. It pours crystal clear gold with white head. The nose is very pungent, floral, herbal, spicy with flashes of soft lemon candy like Starbust. The flavor... Well, it tasted exactly how it smells. The Starburst flavors quickly get flushed out by the herbal spiciness. The beer finishes very dry and is dangerously drinkable at 7.7%. I give it 4 out of 5 stars. I'll definetely buy and drink this again. Once again, Stone fails to disappoint.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Stone Delicious IPA
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 05:57:24 pm »
Sounds good. I like those Lemon Drop hops. I'll be looking for it ! Sounds like it works with El Dorado.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 06:17:01 pm »
Sounds good. I like those Lemon Drop hops. I'll be looking for it ! Sounds like it works with El Dorado.

The combo is almost Mt. Hood-ish. I have to say, as the beer warmed a bit in the glass, it became more fruitier than spicy. This beer is along the lines of Troegs Perpetual IPA...only a touch better. Lol since you can't get Troeg's in Indy, Jon, I guess this is a terrible comparison for you... Owell.
Frank

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 07:30:53 am »

The combo is almost Mt. Hood-ish. I have to say, as the beer warmed a bit in the glass, it became more fruitier than spicy. This beer is along the lines of Troegs Perpetual IPA...only a touch better. Lol since you can't get Troeg's in Indy, Jon, I guess this is a terrible comparison for you... Owell.

im following you ;D
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 08:57:19 am »
Interesting I might have to give perpetual another shot now with that comparison I haven't tried perpetual in a long time, will have to find delicious and do a side by side then too you know science sake yea.  Next time I'm down at tröegs I'll snag some cans of fresh perpetual thanks for pushing me back onto a tröegs beer I have forgotten about. Lol

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 09:06:38 am »
Interesting I might have to give perpetual another shot now with that comparison I haven't tried perpetual in a long time, will have to find delicious and do a side by side then too you know science sake yea.  Next time I'm down at tröegs I'll snag some cans of fresh perpetual thanks for pushing me back onto a tröegs beer I have forgotten about. Lol

Ha... I'll be interested to hear about a side by side. I haven't had perpetual in a while either. But it's the closest comparison off the top of my head with the herbal/spice flavor and aroma. Similar in color too. A light, golden/straw color.
Frank

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 01:20:10 pm »
Once I find delicious I'll do a side by side and report back to here lol

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 06:23:59 pm »
Found one six pack locally. I had never heard of it before and learn to find out that it's new this year. Supposedly it's reduced gluton. I don't see much the point unless it's completely glutton free which you can't get with barley. That being said, I really don't care about that lol. It's hopped with lemon drop and el dorado. It pours crystal clear gold with white head. The nose is very pungent, floral, herbal, spicy with flashes of soft lemon candy like Starbust. The flavor... Well, it tasted exactly how it smells. The Starburst flavors quickly get flushed out by the herbal spiciness. The beer finishes very dry and is dangerously drinkable at 7.7%. I give it 4 out of 5 stars. I'll definetely buy and drink this again. Once again, Stone fails to disappoint.
Just had one of these last night, tour description is spot on and it was quite a tasty beer!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 09:49:12 am »
I didn't realize that this is Stone's low Gluten beer. I saw in this article that they use Clarity Ferm to reduce the gluten content- I remember a thread on Clarity Ferm last year where people were debating the flavor impact of using it.  Judging by the reviews so far, must not be much flavor impact. If there were I'm sure Stone wouldn't use it. Need to try this beer.

http://beerpulse.com/2015/01/stones-gluten-reduced-delicious-ipa-now-available-coast-to-coast-3570/
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:43:40 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 11:03:28 am »
I didn't realize that this is Stone's low Gluten beer. I saw in this article that they use Clarity Ferm to reduce the gluten content- I remember a thread on Clarity Ferm last year where people were debating the flavor impact of using it.  Judging by the reviews so far, must not be much flavor impact. If there were I'm sure Stone wouldn't use it. Need to try this beer.

http://beerpulse.com/2015/01/stones-gluten-reduced-delicious-ipa-now-available-coast-to-coast-3570/
I didn't either and I'd say its a mighty tasty beer, gluten or not
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 11:14:14 am »
gluten reduced and reduced gluten are two different things. clarity ferm reduces gluten to simplere molecules. It does this to pretty much all the gluten so it's not reduced gluten beer it's (theoretically) gluten free beer. I know quite a few celiac sufferers who have been enjoying Omission and other gluten reduced beers without side effects for a while now. I'm not going to come out and say it's okay for celiac sufferers to drink this beer but...
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 11:21:28 am »
gluten reduced and reduced gluten are two different things. clarity ferm reduces gluten to simplere molecules. It does this to pretty much all the gluten so it's not reduced gluten beer it's (theoretically) gluten free beer. I know quite a few celiac sufferers who have been enjoying Omission and other gluten reduced beers without side effects for a while now. I'm not going to come out and say it's okay for celiac sufferers to drink this beer but...

So in theory it could/should be gluten free, but it's safer (liability wise) to term it as 'reduced' . I think I'll buy some this Friday, I'm pretty curious now.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 11:26:56 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 02:00:49 pm »

So in theory it could/should be gluten free, but it's safer (liability wise) to term it as 'reduced' . I think I'll buy some this Friday, I'm pretty curious now.

as I understand it whatever agency is responsible for that type of label claim in the USA was not willing to say gluten free even though it passes the test used to determine certification for that because it has an ingredient that is chock full of gluten. However the reduced I beleive refers to the fact that the molecule has been reduced or broken into smaller pieces. the same way we talk about reducing sugars vs. non-reducing sugars.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 11:24:54 pm »
Interesting read Jonathan, can you put up some sources for that info?
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 09:59:41 am »
Interesting read Jonathan, can you put up some sources for that info?

John Mallet touched on it in his talk about malt at the 2013 NHC. That's available to members. I'll try to google around and find some more info on how it works. I've noticed recently that stores are calling Ommision and the like gluten free so it's also possible the Agency In Charge as already loosened the rules.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce