Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Munich Dunkel Mulligan  (Read 5851 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Munich Dunkel Mulligan
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 01:10:56 pm »
I'm locking that it.
10 lbs weyerman light munich
3 lbs munich 20
2 oz carafa 2

I think for my next beer we'll do an IPA by forum consensus. That ought to be a nightmare lol

that looks good.  just make sure you mash longer due to lower DP.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2015, 01:21:04 pm »
I'm locking that it.
3 lbs munich 20
2 oz carafa 2

I think for my next beer we'll do an IPA by forum consensus. That ought to be a nightmare lol

Well, you can see my recipe suggestion above. I, too, find that too much dark munich is too much for me.

EDIT: I think that recipe looks fine.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 01:23:28 pm by majorvices »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2015, 01:21:55 pm »
Last dunkel I made turned out great. I don't have the recipe in front of me but it was something like 40% dark Munich (Best II) 40% Munich (Best I) and 20% pils and probably a little carafa II to adjust color (I like my grain bills to be over 100%!)

Those percentages are just a guess, it may have been only 10% pils and 50% Dark Munich. But I really think on a dunkel you can skip the crystal malts entirely. You want the rich, bready character of the Munich malt to shine. You don't want "sweetish", crystal malt flavors.

for clarities sake. ;)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2015, 01:46:52 pm »
Last dunkel I made turned out great. I don't have the recipe in front of me but it was something like 40% dark Munich (Best II) 40% Munich (Best I) and 20% pils and probably a little carafa II to adjust color (I like my grain bills to be over 100%!)

Those percentages are just a guess, it may have been only 10% pils and 50% Dark Munich. But I really think on a dunkel you can skip the crystal malts entirely. You want the rich, bready character of the Munich malt to shine. You don't want "sweetish", crystal malt flavors.

for clarities sake. ;)
I saw that but I want no Pilsner in there, for no reason at all. If I need a reason, I'll throw Zainashef under the bus. No Pilsner in his.

I'm at 75% weyermann light, 25% GW dark, and 1% carafa 2 so it meets that math requirements.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2015, 01:50:06 pm »
I'm locking that it.
3 lbs munich 20
2 oz carafa 2

that looks good.  just make sure you mash longer due to lower DP.
I'm doing 90 min.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2015, 01:51:45 pm »
You don't have to have the pils, but I think it helps balance the flavors out, and allows you to decrease the mash time and I really feel it helps you to hit the proper AA.

I can't say I have ever brewed one of JZ's recipes. And I don't own BCS. No disrespect to JZ but I had most of my recipes figured out before that book came out. :)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2015, 02:06:08 pm »
You don't have to have the pils, but I think it helps balance the flavors out, and allows you to decrease the mash time and I really feel it helps you to hit the proper AA.

I can't say I have ever brewed one of JZ's recipes. And I don't own BCS. No disrespect to JZ but I had most of my recipes figured out before that book came out. :)
One must have the ability to think for themselves when it comes to certain homebrew living legends. Read between the lines, right? For example, doing a show on dunkels and half of the guests have never brewed one, and the last time you brewed one was over ten years ago... I'll keep that in mind when deciding how authoritative the info it.
Just saying

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2015, 02:08:51 pm »
JZ's advice is pretty sound. I don't think you would go wrong with any of his recipes. The only thing I have against BCS is not JZ, it's that everyone takes those recipes for gospel instead of guidelines.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2015, 02:21:20 pm »
I have no problem either. I agree that BCS is a good recipe book with a place to start on a lot of styles. But saying that 100% of the podcast iinfo is undebatable gold, or that the recipes are as good as it gets... I disagree.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2015, 02:34:26 pm »
Yeah, BCS isn't gospel to me either. It has some good recipes, some are better than others. I've brewed a few of his on styles I hadn't brewed before and then tweaked them to my liking the next time. It's a good starting point for a style you haven't brewed before, and that's about it.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2015, 02:43:28 pm »
So I'm about done with the mash. Based on aroma alone, the difference between Weyermann Munich and GW Munich is like the difference between a good German pils and GW pils. World of difference.

To tie the discussion together, Zainashef always says to use ingredients from the region you're trying to brew to. That's gold for sure.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2015, 02:47:02 pm »
Yep, agreed.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2015, 02:49:30 pm »
I have no problem either. I agree that BCS is a good recipe book with a place to start on a lot of styles. But saying that 100% of the podcast iinfo is undebatable gold, or that the recipes are as good as it gets... I disagree.

I have not listened to the podcast you are speaking of.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2015, 03:17:04 pm »

I have not listened to the podcast you are speaking of.
It's good stuff. Better than normal morning talk radio (politics and weather)  I suggest you go to Brewing Network and try it out. The Session is entertaining and has great laid back interviews with pros and such. Zainashef has a BCS type show and a duo show with Palmer. Try it out. There's a Denny episode or three.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2015, 03:21:56 pm »
Now I'm looking forward to a Yellow Hammer episode