Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Munich Dunkel Mulligan  (Read 5800 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Munich Dunkel Mulligan
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2015, 05:43:43 am »
I like Magnum as a bittering hop in my German beers - a lot less vegetal for the same IBUs.  Also the yeast really needs to be Bavarian.  Of course a Munich boiled water profile, too.  Finally, consider a single decoction and you should be there, but one friend made a great one with a little Melanoiden, instead of decocting.  Good fresh ingredients from the continent is a must, too.  I have not used American ingredients in my German lagers for quite a while and would not go back.

Just keep making it over and over and you will dial it in for what you like and have a lot of great Dunkel!  (But you already knew that).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Munich Dunkel Mulligan
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2015, 01:49:05 pm »
I like Magnum as a bittering hop in my German beers - a lot less vegetal for the same IBUs.  Also the yeast really needs to be Bavarian.  Of course a Munich boiled water profile, too.  Finally, consider a single decoction and you should be there, but one friend made a great one with a little Melanoiden, instead of decocting.  Good fresh ingredients from the continent is a must, too.  I have not used American ingredients in my German lagers for quite a while and would not go back.

Just keep making it over and over and you will dial it in for what you like and have a lot of great Dunkel!  (But you already knew that).
I think decoction will be my last modification once im happy as I can get with my recipe. Just to see the difference.  Well, maybe.