Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: how long should i keep this blonde ale in a primary......  (Read 5140 times)

Offline wishbonebrew

• 1st Kit
  • make brew and war
how long should i keep this blonde ale in a primary......
« on: February 21, 2015, 07:35:34 pm »
so i'm going to start a blonde ale tomorrow, forgot the irish moss, im using citrus hops and im going to add organic vanilla bean to the secondary fermenter. my plan was to keep it in the primary for 1 week then transfer to the secondary and add the vanilla bean and let it sit for another week than to the bottling bucket, bottle the beer than age for two weeks?  this is the timeline I received from my local brew store. anyone think i need to change it up before i start. thanks every one
HOOAH!!! BREWAHH!!

Offline bassman15169

• 1st Kit
Re: how long should i keep this blonde ale in a primary......
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 07:45:32 pm »
I usually go 2 weeks in primary and another week in secondary. I bump it up if  its a big brew to 3 weeks in primary and 2 in secondary

Offline wishbonebrew

• 1st Kit
  • make brew and war
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 08:13:08 pm »
I usually go 2 weeks in primary and another week in secondary. I bump it up if  its a big brew to 3 weeks in primary and 2 in secondary

roger that. what do you mean by big brew? size or type
HOOAH!!! BREWAHH!!

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 08:14:48 pm »
FWIW you dont need a secondary. move on from primary +- 2 weeks ans keg or bottle.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline bassman15169

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 08:29:16 pm »
if the brew is above 7% or so I usually go a week longer in each. ive never gone from primary directly to bottles but I have heard plenty of people that say secondary is unnecessary

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
how long should i keep this blonde ale in a primary......
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 09:00:08 pm »
I doubt a blonde ale would benefit from secondary. I would bottle after 2 weeks, allow to carb for an additional 2 weeks, chill and drink. It could benefit from some cold conditioning in the bottle.

And time frames are guidelines, beer is done when it is done. Use your hydrometer to determine this.

Offline bassman15169

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 10:00:46 pm »
I have never done any experimentation with doing a secondary vs not...LHBS shop recommended 2 weeks/primary and 1 week/secondary regimen so that is what I have always done. hydrometer has always proven beerbto be finished with this routine. I guess it is up to the individual brewer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 07:21:51 am »
I doubt a blonde ale would benefit from secondary. I would bottle after 2 weeks, allow to carb for an additional 2 weeks, chill and drink. It could benefit from some cold conditioning in the bottle.

And time frames are guidelines, beer is done when it is done. Use your hydrometer to determine this.

+1.  No need to secondary the vast majority of beers, and racking to secondary on a set time frame can cause your beer to be slow to reach FG, and not give the yeast a chance to clean up off flavors and aromas. Don't ever rack before you verify that you've reached FG.
Jon H.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 08:15:51 am »
1-3 weeks in primary, but this is dependent on yeast and OG so wait until the gravity is stable for 3 days in a row.  No need for secondary.
Brian
mobrewer