Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast beer nutrient vs. wine nutrient...  (Read 2500 times)

Offline 3bbrewing

• Retailers
  • Cellarman
  • San Diego, CA
Wyeast beer nutrient vs. wine nutrient...
« on: February 22, 2015, 02:57:22 pm »
Greetings everyone.  I ran out of Wyeast beer yeast nutrient and all I had on hand was the wine yeast nutrient.  I checked the Wyeast site to see what the difference was but I really couldn't find anything specific if it was there. I went ahead and used their wine yeast nutrient for my Belgium IPA, Belg PA, and English Best that I have going.  Does anyone here know the difference between the wine nutrient and beer nutrient?  More  urea and diammonium phosphate in the wine one??? 

Thank you! 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Wyeast beer nutrient vs. wine nutrient...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 08:03:43 am »
There are differences between different nutrients, but I've never heard of a specific difference with 'wine' or 'beer' nutrients. Actually, I usually hear them referred to as simply 'yeast' nutrients.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 08:05:57 am »
My LHBS was out of Wyeast nutrient once, so I bought some of their yeast nutrient from the winemaking section. I had good results, no different than I'm used to from the Wyeast.
Jon H.

Offline 3bbrewing

• Retailers
  • Cellarman
  • San Diego, CA
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 09:01:44 am »
Thanks guys...  They seem to infer that they're different formulations with nutrients specific to beer and wine but are also very vague. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~