Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: water analysis for coffee  (Read 3702 times)

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: water analysis for coffee
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 08:37:06 am »
For the targets, to need 26ppm Ca and 45 ppm bicarbonate. Left to you is what minerals do Ca, gypsum or CaCl2, baking soda, and how many grams of each per gallon, or liter in your case.

The first tab in Brunwater calculates hardness and.alkalinity. The 3rd tab will.give the ppm for minerals in g/L.

Hope this helps.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 08:43:05 am »
Experiment. Using cupping techniques. When cupping, water is added directly to the grinds and the result is sampled with a spoon. It will allow you to try multiple waters with minimal hassle.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 08:53:34 am »
I suspect that the minerals affect flavor but not the brewing process. If that is true then you could make solutions of individual water additives and add them to finished coffee to see how it changes the flavor. Then decide what you like.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 09:05:18 am »
Took me a moment to understand *$$ - pretty funny.

I know it's not the issue but I'm sure they had a lot of smart people figuring out what makes the best coffee for their water. Sorry you were offended by my suggestion....

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 09:14:43 am »
Took me a moment to understand *$$ - pretty funny.

I know it's not the issue but I'm sure they had a lot of smart people figuring out what makes the best coffee for their water. Sorry you were offended by my suggestion....

No offense taken whatsoever. Since I'm addicted to coffee I need to use their facilities from time to time. So I always bring my coffee enema toolkit: all of the caffeine, none of the taste!
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 09:18:59 am »
I suspect that the minerals affect flavor but not the brewing process. If that is true then you could make solutions of individual water additives and add them to finished coffee to see how it changes the flavor. Then decide what you like.
Sounds like a good plan to me.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 09:20:47 am »
For the targets, to need 26ppm Ca and 45 ppm bicarbonate. Left to you is what minerals do Ca, gypsum or CaCl2, baking soda, and how many grams of each per gallon, or liter in your case.

The first tab in Brunwater calculates hardness and.alkalinity. The 3rd tab will.give the ppm for minerals in g/L.

Hope this helps.

Stupid, yes. I thought I couldn't use Brunwater for this because it requires you to enter your grains. But that's only to compute the pH, which is not an issue here...
Frank P.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 09:24:08 am »

Aha, yes! So my son doesn't have to brew pots of coffee in parallel! Genius!
Frank P.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2015, 09:25:31 am »
Sounds like a good plan to me.

+2
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2015, 09:45:57 am »

If you were a real coffee snob you would brew coffee by the cup, not the pot. Just sayin'....

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2015, 09:50:39 am »

If you were a real coffee snob you would brew coffee by the cup, not the pot. Just sayin'....

Are you insinuating that I would not be the proud owner and daily user of this contraption, my good sir?
https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/650x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/h/a/hario.jpg
Frank P.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2015, 09:51:09 am »
The only practical problem for my son to carry out the experiment would be that the quantities are really really minute. For instance, for baking soda order of magnitude of 0.05 gr/L, and still a lot less for a cup, of course....
Frank P.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2015, 10:00:22 am »

Are you insinuating that I would not be the proud owner and daily user of this contraption, my good sir?
https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/650x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/h/a/hario.jpg

That's a pretty fancy coffee maker right there! Just like mine! Only a little prettier.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2015, 11:31:42 am »
It's not just pretty. The thick glass is supposed to retain the heat of the hot water better.
Frank P.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2015, 11:47:53 am »
The only practical problem for my son to carry out the experiment would be that the quantities are really really minute. For instance, for baking soda order of magnitude of 0.05 gr/L, and still a lot less for a cup, of course....
Solutions make that easier. Make 50g/L (or 5g/100mL) and dose with that. 1 drop from a dropper is generally 0.05mL, so that drop contains 5g/100mL * 0.05mL = 0.0025g of baking soda. You'd need 20 drops or 1mL to get 0.05g baking soda in a Liter of coffee. Proportionally less in a cup.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958