Author Topic: bottling from primary fermentation vessel  (Read 3084 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
    • View Profile
bottling from primary fermentation vessel
« on: February 23, 2015, 01:26:04 PM »
Does anyone here bottle from the primary fermentation vessel? I only brew small batches (max 10 liters), and not having to transfer the beer to another vessel is one less pita. How do you add the sugar and prevent the yeast from being mixed with the beer again after cold-crashing?
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
bottling from primary fermentation vessel
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 01:50:39 PM »
I've done it plenty of times with small batches. It is a hassle, but manageable.  I used an autosiphon with the clip to keep the trub out. I sacrificed some beer for the good of the rest. I used carb tabs instead of mixing sugar into the lot.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 02:16:01 PM by Steve in TX »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
    • View Profile
Re: bottling from primary fermentation vessel
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 01:51:02 PM »
I am pretty sure that the least PITA way to mix priming sugar without stiring up the yeast it to put the sugar in a bottling bucket and rack the beer off of the yeast into the bottling bucket.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 02:18:21 PM »
I am pretty sure that the least PITA way to mix priming sugar without stiring up the yeast it to put the sugar in a bottling bucket and rack the beer off of the yeast into the bottling bucket.

Haha, that's what I've been doing, but no harm in asking, I thought. Maybe there IS a genius amongst us.
Frank P.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 03:11:11 PM »
You can individually dose bottles with priming syrup and an graduated eye dropper. Kind of a pain to get the numbers right, but I have done it successfully.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 03:22:35 PM »
You can individually dose bottles with priming syrup and an graduated eye dropper. Kind of a pain to get the numbers right, but I have done it successfully.

No, thanks.   :P
Frank P.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 05:07:49 PM »
I got started home brewing with a spare Mr. Beer fermenter that a friend loaned me.  I made several batches of kit beer and added priming sugar to water that had been boiled then cooled somewhat. I added it directly to the Mr. Beer fermenter, stirred it with a whisk, waited 30-mins and bottled.

It came out fine, but whatever strain of yeast that was included in the kit seemed to "glue" the sediment to the bottom of the fermenter.  The Mr.Beer fermenter has a simple valve at the bottom to dispense the beer directly into the bottles.

I later tried another recipe with a different yeast strain and ran into a problem.  Perhaps I didn't use enough water to get the sugar fully dissolved before I added it to the fermenter or perhaps I didn't stir it enough to mix it thoroughly.

Most of the bottles out of the fermenter were under carbonated.  However, the bottles with a lot of sediment in them--I not going to throw good beer away just because its got trub in it-- turned into gushers when I opened them. 

On batches made after that, instead of mixing priming sugar for the entire batch, I've been adding one domino "dot" i.e. sugar cube per 12-oz bottle with good results. I've been brewing porters and stouts and imho it works well for those styles.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 05:30:29 PM »
Bottling straight from the primary has several advantages beyond skipping a step.

I'm trying to develop a "squirt prime" method using priming syrup in a spray bottle with a tube inserted in the nozzle.  Going to bottle later this week.  I'll start a thread to report the results.  It may take me a couple of batches to refine the method.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 08:19:09 PM »
I've done it plenty of times with small batches. It is a hassle, but manageable.  I used an autosiphon with the clip to keep the trub out. I sacrificed some beer for the good of the rest. I used carb tabs instead of mixing sugar into the lot.
Same here. The Cooper's carb drops work great for this.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 08:59:49 PM »
I tried the carb drops once myself. All went well until at some point I got the strong impression that I had forgotten to put a drop in one of the bottles. So I didn't know how to solve this, freaked out and they had to carry me away in a straitjacket.
Frank P.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 09:06:48 PM »
Bottling straight from the primary has several advantages beyond skipping a step.

I'm trying to develop a "squirt prime" method using priming syrup in a spray bottle with a tube inserted in the nozzle.  Going to bottle later this week.  I'll start a thread to report the results.  It may take me a couple of batches to refine the method.
Bar supply shops sell stopper tops for liquor that dispense a measured amount of liquor and then stop until the bottle is righted. If there is a 1/2 oz version that would work with the right concentration sugar water.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 09:29:26 PM »
Hm. So it's either carb drops or racking into bottling bucket for me.
Frank P.

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 09:57:49 AM »
Another reason to put off bottling until you simply run out of secondary (or primary in you case) fermentors.
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 07:40:40 PM »

Bar supply shops sell stopper tops for liquor that dispense a measured amount of liquor and then stop until the bottle is righted. If there is a 1/2 oz version that would work with the right concentration sugar water.
That should work but would be too slow if you're doing 50 bottles.  With a pump-squirt system you can go down a line of bottles squirt-squirt-squirt and never tip up to reload.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 08:09:26 PM »

That should work but would be too slow if you're doing 50 bottles.  With a pump-squirt system you can go down a line of bottles squirt-squirt-squirt and never tip up to reload.
That's true - I see where you're going now. Should work since the amount of liquid dispensed with each pump is probably uniform. Have you figured out the volume of a single 'squirt'?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958