Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Building, looking for ideas  (Read 2247 times)

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
New Building, looking for ideas
« on: February 23, 2015, 10:38:23 am »
I'm thinking of building a new building (80x100). If you were going to build a building for a 30bbl brewery, what would you want to have?  Like wall/ceiling heights, wall materials, storage space, cooler space,and other specific areas. No need for a tap area, the current building has that.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: New Building, looking for ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 11:33:59 am »
I'm in the middle of designing this right now. We want ceiling height tall enough for 120 bbl tanks. The flow has been the biggest point of concern. Where to put grain mill. Where to set up bottling line. Where to set up brew house. Laying out the fermentors is by far the easiest part. When you start to design your second brewery you start to realize how much you didn't know on the first one. And you are worried you still don't know enough.

We are getting close, when it happens I'll send you the blue prints and our thoughts.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 04:26:23 pm »
Thanks!

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 09:18:13 am »
Double the electrical you think you will need, and you never, and I mean NEVER have too many floor drains. 

(I have none, and it's a PITA)

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 10:30:36 am »
We have a three phase transformer in the front yard now, I know all to well about drains.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 09:06:28 am »
I would say plan for growth now. You're putting in 30bbl tanks now, who's to say in a year or two you won't be upgrading to 100bbl? adding more fermenters? Finances allowing... At least 3-4 stories high, follow in the path of Stone, Sierra Nevada, etc and go green. Recycle byproducts, solar panels, etc. its much easier to do up front than it is to re-engineer the facility. If you don't already have a professional brewery consultant, go get one!
Phoenix, AZ

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 06:28:03 am »
+1 to planning for growth. Our new building plans allows us to bust out a wall and add an extension. Something we can do continuously up to an entire city block.