Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wah!!!  (Read 3309 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Wah!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2016, 04:27:06 pm »
There is a lot of sediment left over from a big whirlpool addition of hops so there is just too much in suspension right now. If I racked into a keg now the dip tube would end up in gunk. I feel I have to wait and hope not too much oxygen got taken in

You might be right. I try to filter that crap out before it goes into the fermenter. I zip tie a knee high leg stocking onto the end of my hose and run it into a bucket. Then I dump it from the bucket into a carboy. My wort gets plenty oxygenated this way as well.

My batch tuesterday was 16.5 gallons. I had a pound of hops in the kettle. I repeated the stocking process 3 times into each bucket. It took some squeezing to get the wort out of the stockings due to all the hop matter. Powder free latex gloves are recommended unless you enjoy being really sticky.
I go back and forth on this, Frank. I often strain but sometimes, like this time I only partially do. If something like this doesn't happen its not worth it to me to fuss around with it.
At least we went shopping yesterday:
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 04:39:13 pm »
Nice haul !
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 04:59:09 pm »
There is a lot of sediment left over from a big whirlpool addition of hops so there is just too much in suspension right now. If I racked into a keg now the dip tube would end up in gunk. I feel I have to wait and hope not too much oxygen got taken in

You might be right. I try to filter that crap out before it goes into the fermenter. I zip tie a knee high leg stocking onto the end of my hose and run it into a bucket. Then I dump it from the bucket into a carboy. My wort gets plenty oxygenated this way as well.

My batch tuesterday was 16.5 gallons. I had a pound of hops in the kettle. I repeated the stocking process 3 times into each bucket. It took some squeezing to get the wort out of the stockings due to all the hop matter. Powder free latex gloves are recommended unless you enjoy being really sticky.
I go back and forth on this, Frank. I often strain but sometimes, like this time I only partially do. If something like this doesn't happen its not worth it to me to fuss around with it.

Nice! It appears that one is empty lol
Frank

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 06:58:14 pm »

Nice! It appears that one is empty lol
It appears that ONE is empty, but that is no longer true. Four are empty, as well as other things not in the picture.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 09:21:52 am »
Speidel time.

Lol... I knew this was coming! Are you getting a kickback from Speidel, Jim?

I looked into them before. They are pretty sweet!
No kickback, I wish though. They are just a fantastic product.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 09:22:42 am »
Now that you are settling down......you are going to love that keg system!!

Being able to tap a super fresh IPA in a couple days is excellent.  ;)

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2016, 09:51:00 am »

Yes, a day out I am feeling better, less pissed about what happened and more excited about kegging. I also think I won't get too much oxidation.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 10:46:58 am »

Yes, a day out I am feeling better, less pissed about what happened and more excited about kegging. I also think I won't get too much oxidation.
Once you start acquiring a few kegs, you can start thinking about using a keg as a primary fermenter, too. It's the poor-man's conical, and oxidation concerns go right out the window with the option of closed-transfers to a purged secondary/serving vessel.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 11:22:13 am »

Yes, that's on my radar.
Once you start acquiring a few kegs, you can start thinking about using a keg as a primary fermenter, too. It's the poor-man's conical, and oxidation concerns go right out the window with the option of closed-transfers to a purged secondary/serving vessel.

Offline jeffjm

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2016, 03:02:15 pm »
The stuff that fell out, clearing your beer the first time, is going to fall out again fairly quickly. Even quicker, if it's cold. Keg it now, chill it, and the cold will slow down oxidation quite a bit.

At least you weren't using a carboy that shattered, sending beer and glass all over. Plus, having fresh IPA on tap is a joy. So much of a joy I bet it won't be around long enough to oxidize  ;)

I set out running but I take my time.