Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: mandarina  (Read 11850 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: mandarina
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2015, 11:03:43 am »
This could be an idea......

Schell’s Arminius Hoppy Pale Lager

Not known for aggressively hopped beers, Schell’s has been playing with hops a lot lately. First was the Citra Fresh-hop pilsner. Then there was Emerald Rye, a most IPA like amber lager. The Pilsner 30th Anniversary 12-pack had a version of the great Schell’s Pils hopped with Mandarina Bavaria hops – a new variety from Germany. Now comes Arminius, a 70-IBU, massively dry-hopped pale lager.

As a fan of traditional German-style lagers, I take this trend with mixed emotions. On the one hand it’s good to see Schell’s trying new things. On the other, there really is nothing like a good pilsner.

Here’s my notes:

ArminiusArminius
August Schell Brewing Company, New Ulm, Minnesota
Style: Hoppy Lager
Serving Style: 16 oz. can
6.5% ABV
70 IBU

Aroma: Lime citrus and spice overlay doughy malt. A deeper hop note of mandarin oranges or dried mango hovers beneath. Balanced. Bright. Sprightly.

Appearance: Medium gold and brilliantly clear. A full stand of fluffy, white foam with excellent retention.

Flavor: Assertively bitter, but balanced. Although hops dominate the flavor profile, malt is not forgotten. Citrus – lime and lemon. Floral. Dried tropical fruits. Underlying, bready malt flavors with medium-low sweetness. The finish is dry and sharp. Crisp and clean.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Medium to medium-high carbonation.

Overall Impression: This is a hoppy beer that I can really wrap my tongue around. It’s lively, refreshing, and very easy to drink. Despite 70 IBUs, it doesn’t tax the tongue. Hoppy enough for IPA fans, but lager-like enough to satisfy the likes of me.

Yeah, sounds great !  Sort of what I had in mind.
Jon H.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2015, 03:30:26 pm »
Wish I had Schell's here.  Bought a mixed case of theirs when I was in MN.  Liked their beers, sounds good now after shoveling snow for 5 hrs.   
Jeff B

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2015, 11:54:24 am »

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2015, 09:57:41 am »
Sitting down with a pint of the mandarina IPA right now and this is a beer I could really get used too. It's a perfect everyday beer. Aside from getting some of the hop intensity back I wouldn't change the malt or the hops. They taste perfect and blend very well together. The US-05 I used is very clean and reminds me almost of a German beer. I could see it going very nice with an alt yeast, a kolsch yeast or a german lager yeast.

MmmmmmmmMMM! This is delicious!

Hats off to Keith on this one, it is one tasty beer! Thanks for the inspiration! I added some Hüell Melon to mine just cause I wanted to try that new hop as well. Planning on brewing 10 gallons this beer for our annual hog roast in September.

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
13.00 lb              Vienna Malt (3.8 SRM)                    Grain         1        100.0 %       
1.00 oz               Magnum 14.7 [14.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min    Hop           2        49.3 IBUs     
1.00 Items            Immersion Chiller/Pump (Boil 15.0 mins)  Other         3        -             
1.00 oz               Mandarina Bavaria [7.40 %] - Boil 10.0 m Hop           4        9.0 IBUs     
0.50 tsp              Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins)          Other         5        -             
0.50 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 mins)         Fining        6        -             
2.50 oz               Mandarina Bavaria [7.40 %] - Steep/Whirl Hop           7        15.4 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Huell Melon [4.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool   Hop           8        3.7 IBUs     
2.0 pkg               Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)  Yeast         9        -             
2.50 oz               Mandarina Bavaria [7.40 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Hop           10       0.0 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Huell Melon [4.50 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days  Hop           11       0.0 IBUs 
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2015, 11:35:21 am »
That looks nice, Metron. I might have to brew an adaptation of this as I have a 4oz pack in my freezer of Mandarina. I want to use a lager yeast and treat it as such though.
Jesse

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2015, 09:37:05 am »
I made an all Mandarina pils (90:10 pils munich) 1.053/41 IBUs

Just kegged 2 weeks ago. Took a sample last night and the orange citrus character screams out on this one.  Also get some lime and melon.

Orange is nearly as strong as the zest in a fresh keg of witbier.

Hop flavor is a bit lacking - I think this particular recipe might have been better with tett or mittlefruh for flavor additions and MB for flameout only.

Still a bit of haze in the beer but will post back w pic once it has cleared up and is actually on tap.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2015, 09:42:28 am »
Yep, very orangey.  Sounds like a nice beer.
Jon H.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2015, 08:10:13 pm »
I used it in an all Red-X Red Ale and I didn't really get the citrus for some reason.  I used an ounce to bitter (7.2%?) and then another ounce for 10 minutes and then another ounce in the 175° whirlpool.  Love the character but they just seem clean and German to me for some reason.  I had one ounce left and used it to make a Helles with 2308.  Something like .38 ounce as a FWH and then .62 ounce for bittering for maybe 23 IBUs.  My Mandarina Bavaria were a little older but in an oxygen-purged, vacuum-sealed foil pack from Farmhouse Supply.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
mandarina
« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2015, 06:38:10 am »
Might have needed more- I used 2 oz at 15min and 4oz at whirlpool for 12 gal.

Also Pilsner base is likely a better canvas.  I've never used red X but assuming it's malty and for lack of better terms "red ale"ish, I would expect to have had to at least doubled your additions, maybe even tripled the whirlpool one, in order to get the hop to standout.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 08:24:20 am by blatz »
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline TexasHumuluslupulushead

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2015, 08:22:40 am »
Absolutely love that hop!  Summer is similar as well- tangeriney - is that a word?
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.    -- Dean Martin

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2015, 12:16:27 pm »
I made an all Mandarina pils (90:10 pils munich) 1.053/41 IBUs

Just kegged 2 weeks ago. Took a sample last night and the orange citrus character screams out on this one.  Also get some lime and melon.

Orange is nearly as strong as the zest in a fresh keg of witbier.

Hop flavor is a bit lacking - I think this particular recipe might have been better with tett or mittlefruh for flavor additions and MB for flameout only.

Still a bit of haze in the beer but will post back w pic once it has cleared up and is actually on tap.

Paul, I look forward to hearing back about how this turned out.  I'm thinking my next brew will be a Mandarina IPL with 34/70 (4th generation).

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2015, 12:24:27 pm »
MB has less oils than Mosaic, Simcoe, Citra and so on. IIRC it has about 1% or less, those others have 2 to 3 % oil. If you want an aroma punch like those hops give, you need to double or triple.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2015, 12:30:06 pm »
MB has less oils than Mosaic, Simcoe, Citra and so on. IIRC it has about 1% or less, those others have 2 to 3 % oil. If you want an aroma punch like those hops give, you need to double or triple.

That's a great bit of info.  I'm glad I have a pound of pellets to work with!

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2015, 08:46:35 am »
Might have needed more- I used 2 oz at 15min and 4oz at whirlpool for 12 gal.

Also Pilsner base is likely a better canvas.  I've never used red X but assuming it's malty and for lack of better terms "red ale"ish, I would expect to have had to at least doubled your additions, maybe even tripled the whirlpool one, in order to get the hop to standout.

Red X had a hefty caramel flavor when I used it. I can see where the mandarina was completely lost.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2015, 09:31:47 am »

That really seems to be the rule for all the fruitier European hop varieties whether they are the new German varieties or the fruity styrian variants. Great flavor and aroma but if you want them to compete with big American or NZ/AUS hops then you need a generous hand.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing