Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What to do with post boil hops?  (Read 3924 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: What to do with post boil hops?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 09:18:46 am »
For me, it depends.  Certain varieties of hops that I know my wife doesn't like go into the trash.  Others go into the compost, but our bin is completely enclosed and no dogs around it.
I didn't quite get the decision making process. Are you punishing the hops your wife doesn't like?  ???
Pretty simple.  My wife usually deals with the compost bin while I'm dealing with cleanup.  So, at the point of mixing in the new compost material, she's going to be the one to smell it.

I was wondering the same thing.  Your wife can differentiate composted hops? Impressive.
lol nope, but she can certainly differentiate the hop aromas she likes or doesn't like straight out of the boil.
That's some sophisticated Teamwork! Nice.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 01:20:43 pm »
For me, it depends.  Certain varieties of hops that I know my wife doesn't like go into the trash.  Others go into the compost, but our bin is completely enclosed and no dogs around it.
I didn't quite get the decision making process. Are you punishing the hops your wife doesn't like?  ???
Pretty simple.  My wife usually deals with the compost bin while I'm dealing with cleanup.  So, at the point of mixing in the new compost material, she's going to be the one to smell it.

I was wondering the same thing.  Your wife can differentiate composted hops? Impressive.
lol nope, but she can certainly differentiate the hop aromas she likes or doesn't like straight out of the boil.

That's still pretty impressive!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 03:21:42 pm »
Compost or trash. Depends on whether it is whole hops and if a lot were used. More hops increases the likelihood of the compost bin and if I use grain that also gets composted.

I use hop bags so it's easy to dump hops out.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 04:00:22 pm »
Compost or trash. Depends on whether it is whole hops and if a lot were used. More hops increases the likelihood of the compost bin and if I use grain that also gets composted.
On which occasions would you use hops and not use grain?  ;)

Yeah, spent grain here almost always gets composted.  The occasions where it doesn't it either gets turned into bread or dog treats.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 06:51:08 pm »
On which occasions would you use hops and not use grain?  ;)

Yeah, spent grain here almost always gets composted.  The occasions where it doesn't it either gets turned into bread or dog treats.

Ah. I don't eschew the use of malt extract.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2015, 08:42:13 pm »
The spent hops are bagged and put in the trash. I don't want to be responsible for the demise of someone's pet.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 07:19:09 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2015, 08:51:21 pm »
Ah. I don't eschew the use of malt extract.
Ah, well that makes sense.  I guess I've been AG long enough to not even think of that.  Not quite sure how I feel about that.