Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BJCP Tasting Exam....I Passed!  (Read 9862 times)

S. cerevisiae

Re: BJCP Tasting Exam....I Passed!
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2015, 10:11:21 pm »
Agreed-  I'm really glad you didn't throw in the towel.  Judging seems very easy from the outside looking in, but as you have proven, its more than just drinking a bunch of free beer.

Get signed up to judge now.  It's competition season!

Also, the NHC 1st round is coming soon, too.  That's a great place to get more experience.  The judge directors will pair new judges with experienced ones, provided you let them know you are in your first few months, so make sure you tell them.  There are plenty of highly experienced guys around at the big events, so chances are good you'll get to judge with one or two of them.

I started judging back when I received my BJCP ID, which is why I was able to bypass the Recognized rank after getting out of Apprentice jail.  I also had the opportunity to judge the final round last year as a "Rank Pending" judge.  I was paired with a very good National judge.  I am currently signed up to judge couple of local competitions.  I may sign up to judge the 1st round; however, I currently have a scheduling conflict that needs to be resolved.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2015, 10:18:10 pm »
Judging seems very easy from the outside looking in, but as you have proven, its more than just drinking a bunch of free beer.

lol I just wrote an article for HBT, and that was one of my opening comments. #shamelessselfpromotion

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/drink-like-a-beer-judge.html

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2015, 12:26:15 pm »
Good article, Toby
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2015, 05:15:47 pm »
Just got my score. I'm pretty sure those back of the sheet pages were the main problem.

Bu tI got an 80% so I'll take that. I got Master level in Scoring accuracy, National level in perceptive accuracy and certified everywhere else. I'm pretty sure some of that certified is because I put advice for improvement on the back of the page. maybe I'll take it again later this year.

Only the front side is scanned and photocopied. It's part of the instructions:
http://www.bjcp.org/forms/Exam_Cover_Sheet.pdf

I have no animosity towards the BJCP about that. It was my own fault 100%. I will continue to give as much feedback as I can when actually judgeing but if I have to retake the tasteing exam I will remember to keep it to the front page only.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2015, 05:21:12 pm »
Just got my score. I'm pretty sure those back of the sheet pages were the main problem.

Bu tI got an 80% so I'll take that. I got Master level in Scoring accuracy, National level in perceptive accuracy and certified everywhere else. I'm pretty sure some of that certified is because I put advice for improvement on the back of the page. maybe I'll take it again later this year.

I have no animosity towards the BJCP about that. It was my own fault 100%. I will continue to give as much feedback as I can when actually judgeing but if I have to retake the tasteing exam I will remember to keep it to the front page only.

An 80 is something to be proud of Mort!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2015, 05:22:41 pm »
Great job, Jonathan.  I'm sure you'll make a great BJCP.
Jon H.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2015, 06:02:00 pm »
You got an 80 with the backs not sent to graders! That's impressive!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2015, 06:36:31 pm »

An 80 is something to be proud of Mort!

yeah I'm pretty happy. burns a little to know I would probably have done better if I read the instructions more closely but lesson learned.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2015, 06:44:17 pm »
Congrats!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2015, 07:04:43 pm »
I got an 80% so I'll take that.

Congratulations!

All of that worrying for nothing!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2015, 09:11:53 pm »
That's awesome! Good job.

I wish I had put a few things on the back... lol

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2015, 09:19:29 pm »
I have only judged one competition and have no aspirations for that high of a score, but I hear you.  The score of a beer doesn't mean it was going to be to medal either, but it means it was a beer determined to be in that range.... A 43 is still a good score and if another beer won Mini BOS, that's okay.  Likewise, only getting the front part scored means you kicked butt and the system failed a bit by not giving you room on the front to fully express yourself.  Sounds like you will be a GM some time soon!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2015, 07:39:16 am »
yeah I'm pretty happy. burns a little to know I would probably have done better if I read the instructions more closely but lesson learned.

Don't feel bad, NOBODY reads the instructions...everybody jumps in. For a short time the examinee was asked to initial each line that they read it, I wish we still had that.

When we gave the essay exam getting the examinees to number the pages correctly was like herding cats, all of a sudden intelligent adults became children with one of those big fat pencils and paper which tore as soon as you touched it with the lead. I'm not quite sure why that was, but eventually I made a template and gave it to every examinee. Several still got it wrong.

It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2015, 07:51:21 am »

Don't feel bad, NOBODY reads the instructions...everybody jumps in. For a short time the examinee was asked to initial each line that they read it, I wish we still had that.

When we gave the essay exam getting the examinees to number the pages correctly was like herding cats, all of a sudden intelligent adults became children with one of those big fat pencils and paper which tore as soon as you touched it with the lead. I'm not quite sure why that was, but eventually I made a template and gave it to every examinee. Several still got it wrong.

thanks Mike. I've got some time before I'm eligible for the written exam (I've only got 3.5 points right now) but you can be sure I'll read all the instructions carefully when I do.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2015, 10:01:39 am »

thanks Mike. I've got some time before I'm eligible for the written exam (I've only got 3.5 points right now) but you can be sure I'll read all the instructions carefully when I do.
Big thing with the written exam is practicing answering those questions as quickly as possible.  I got my exam, read through it, and thought "Wow I'm going to ace this thing.  I could answer these with my eyes closed."... Well that is true... but answering them in the allotted time proved to be a different thing altogether lol.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"