Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Who Has Experienced BRY-97 Slow Start?  (Read 12254 times)

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Who Has Experienced BRY-97 Slow Start?
« on: February 24, 2015, 04:41:30 pm »
I pitched two packets of rehydrated Lallemand BRY-97 72 hours ago (Saturday 2-21-15) into 5G of 1.056 OG wort and still no signs of fermentation.   I pitched at 63F but after 48 hours (yesterday afternoon) I moved the carboy to a room where the beer (still wort?) is now at 68F.  There's a layer of yeast on the bottom of the carboy and a few patches of bubbles on the surface, but nothing to indicate it has left the lag phase.  I've read about long lag times with this yeast but after 72 hours I'm starting to get uneasy.  I've been brewing for three years and I'm confident in my sanitation practices but this is concerning.

For anyone who has used the dry BRY-97, have you experienced this?  I think I can wait another 12 hours but tomorrow morning I'll be tempted to pitch some Pacman that finally woke up.  If you have experience with this please advise.  Thanks.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Who Has Experienced BRY-97 Slow Start?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 05:24:23 pm »
I have not experienced that, and have had good luck with BRY-97 fermentations so far, but one never knows what the dried package went through before you got it.  When things are slow for the ales, a backup plan is always good.  I have brewed several IPAs where I used BRY-97 as the backup plan (e.g., add it, rehydrated, to the primary after a couple of days of slow start), and it has always worked out well.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 05:35:08 pm »
Bry-97 is notoriously slow, but once it gets going - does very well to produce a fairly clean ferment. I have repitched out to about 4 generations - the lag shortens dramatically with a BRY-97 starter (harvested) at high krausen.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 06:09:54 pm »

Bry-97 is notoriously slow, but once it gets going - does very well to produce a fairly clean ferment. I have repitched out to about 4 generations - the lag shortens dramatically with a BRY-97 starter (harvested) at high krausen.

That's what I've read.  Have you used the dry or liquid version?  Or both?  What has been your lowest lag phase with this yeast?
Brian
mobrewer

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 06:26:44 pm »
I started with the dry version, but rehydrated and was careful about pitching the proper amount. Really liked the results in my house APA. About the third batch I started to harvest, as I was refining the recipe. Each of those first pitches took between 36 and 48 hours to show signs of fermentation. Each also attenuated very well and quickly reached FG - in under 5 days if my notes are accurate. APA gravity around 1.055, FG around 1.012... one down to 1.008. Initially there was a pleasant peach ester I associated with the yeast (according to notes) that faded as the APA matured and dropped clear.

The second and third generation batches had very little lag time (under 12 hours each) but I don't remember the time between harvest and pitch to be honest. It was probably 3-4 weeks. After 5-6 consecutive APAs - I stopped using it. I tossed out the 4th generation harvest because I decided to restart with fresh yeast. I had been washing those yeast harvests and found S. Cerv's better and more convenient recommendation to not wash...

Really - Mark should weigh in. He knows much more about the ins and outs of BRY-97.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Who Has Experienced BRY-97 Slow Start?
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 06:42:00 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, that's consistent with what I've read.  But 72 hours?  I used Mr. Malty to decide on two packs.  At about 70% viability Mr. Malty indicated 1.6 or 1.7 packs so I rehydrated two in 220mL 90F boiled tap water.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 06:43:37 pm by bboy9000 »
Brian
mobrewer

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 06:56:36 pm »
Sounds like you did everything right... I was really nervous as well the first time I used it. You will have to decide if you are willing to let it go further.

Did you temper the rehydrated yeast to pitching temps? That might have shocked the yeast a bit.

I wonder if the (WLP060) liquid yeast equivalent also has such a long lag.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 07:01:39 pm »

Did you temper the rehydrated yeast to pitching temps?

No, it crossed my mind but I never did this when I used to use dry yeast, like 2.5 years ago.  I rarely had problems then.  Maybe I should chill closer to pitching temperature the next time.  Thing is,  the instructions recommend just letting the yeast sit in the water for 15 minutes before pitching.
Brian
mobrewer

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 07:33:26 pm »
BRY 97 is not a good low temperature ale yeast strain. I pitched my first BRY 97 fermentation at 62F because that was the temperature of my basement at the time.  That fermentation took 72 hours to start.  I pitched my next BRY 97 fermentation at 68F, and the fermentation started in 18 hours.  There was zero difference in ester level between the 62F and 68F beers.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 08:01:32 pm »
Sounds like you did everything right... I was really nervous as well the first time I used it. You will have to decide if you are willing to let it go further.

Did you temper the rehydrated yeast to pitching temps? That might have shocked the yeast a bit.

I thought the liquid equivalent was WLP051/WY1272?

It's been a long time since I've used WLP051, but I don't remember it being an especially slow starter.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 08:21:56 pm »
Google may have failed me... Always used the dry version.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 08:24:54 pm »
Mine was about 48 hrs to signs of fermentation. Beer is fine.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline 3bbrewing

• Retailers
  • Cellarman
  • San Diego, CA
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 09:07:07 pm »
I've used this yeast a lot at controlled temps from 62 to 68 depending on the beer type.  I honestly have never experienced this long lag time that others seem to experience.  What is "good till" date on the package?  Too old maybe??  How does your HB store store them?  Shelf, frig, or?  How did you handle and store it?  With dry yeast, I think these factors have quite an effect but are sometimes overlooked.  We sometimes think of dry yeast as bullet proof and while it may be much more durable than liquid, it still needs to be somewhat fresh and handled properly IMHO. 

Isn't WLP060 is the Am ale yeast blend with 01 plus others?  On Llemand's site they descirbe 97 as "Chico like" but it isn't 01/1056 for sure.  It seems more like WLP051/1272 IMHO.   
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 09:16:21 pm »
I don't remember the "good till" date,  but Mr. Malty indicated about 70% viability.  I don't think my LHBS refrigerates dry yeast but the storage room is definitely cool as I've become friends with the owner and I'm back there often.  I'll let it be until tomorrow afternoon but if I don't see any changes the Pacman is going in.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 09:52:23 pm »
The time I used bry97 it was doing nothing on day 2. I noticed the yeast was on the bottom and sides of the fermenter. I raised the temp a few degrees and gave the carboy a shake and fermentation was going a few hours later.

The beer was great.