Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New to the hobby  (Read 2271 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: New to the hobby
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 07:56:54 pm »
There are plenty of places to buy stuff, but keep looking at what is out there and consider trying to make your own.  I agree with Frank, but would add that in any event consider buying for a larger batch than 5 gallons, so you can brew bigger, if you want.  Having said that, there are many guys going small.  But I don't think they share with their friends as much as some of us.....(just kidding!!!)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 08:48:09 pm »
beginner equipment wise it brand doesn't make a whole lot of difference. honestly I don't really pay attention to brand now after many years. I will say the coleman extreme cooler is great for it's drain placement and bayou classic has some really affordable and quality burners. blichman is all the rage among homebrewers but it's pricey. I have no comment on it's relative quality. fermentation buckets are buckets. I don't even know who manufactured the ones I use and don't really care. I own a lovely Italian kettle from marchisio because it was a gift and I love it but I have no idea if other manufacturers are better or worse or more quality or what. don't get hung up. buy something and have fun.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 09:07:47 pm »
Malt plus water plus hops plus yeast equals beer, usually. Beyond that there are many methods that work. Lots of debate over which is best. Start simple. When making big purchases try to pick things you will use for a long time. When the gods speak, listen and try but dont take everything as law. Sometimes the experts aren't. Its pretty hard to not make beer. Its pretty hard to make world class beer. But in the middle is some fine and fun ground. Enjoy the journey

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 05:04:59 am »
Malt plus water plus hops plus yeast equals beer, usually. Beyond that there are many methods that work. Lots of debate over which is best. Start simple. When making big purchases try to pick things you will use for a long time. When the gods speak, listen and try but dont take everything as law. Sometimes the experts aren't. Its pretty hard to not make beer. Its pretty hard to make world class beer. But in the middle is some fine and fun ground. Enjoy the journey

Words of wisdom. Especially nothing is law. Methods that are popular now will be considered a trend next year. I love you hobby because you are in control. You can try things that you want to try. If it works, you share it. Others will try it.
Frank

Offline Dave

• 1st Kit
  • Wyalusing , Pa
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2015, 08:22:53 pm »
I'm still pretty new ,  1 year experience , and looking forward to All grain soon .... Anyway  I really enjoyed learning from Craig Farraway  on YouTube ,,,,  Type in  CraigTube 

Offline amsmith285

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2015, 08:32:30 pm »
I'm still pretty new ,  1 year experience , and looking forward to All grain soon .... Anyway  I really enjoyed learning from Craig Farraway  on YouTube ,,,,  Type in  CraigTube
Thanks, I'll check it out

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 07:21:12 am »

Words of wisdom. Especially nothing is law. Methods that are popular now will be considered a trend next year. I love you hobby because you are in control. You can try things that you want to try. If it works, you share it. Others will try it.

well i love you hobby too!
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale