Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Two Hearted Clone  (Read 7576 times)

Offline Kelvard

• 1st Kit
Two Hearted Clone
« on: February 24, 2015, 08:33:51 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm working on my third brew this weekend. So far I've made an ESB and stout, but now I'm gonna make my favorite variety, IPA. My girlfriend's all time favorite is Bell's Two Hearted Ale. I told her I'd like to make a clone so we can have 5 times as much for a fifth of the price. I like doing partial mashes, and with the research I've done, this is the recipe I've come up with:

Recipe Type: Partial-mash
Yeast: Wyeast American Ale II 1272
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Boil Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.072
Final Gravity: 1.019
IBU: 68
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 9.82
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): at least 4 weeks at 68 F

5.5 lbs DME Light 52.4%
4 lbs American Vienna 38.1%
1 lb American Caramel/Crystal 40L 9.5%

1.00 oz Centennial Pellet [9.50 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Centennial Pellet [9.50 %] (20 min)
1.00 oz Centennial Pellet [9.50 %] (10 min) 
1/2 tsp Irish Moss (10 min)
1/2 tsp Wyeast Yeast Nutrient (10 min)
1.00 oz Centennial Pellet [9.50 %] (FO)
1.00 oz Centennial Whole Leaf [9.50 %] (10 day)

7% ABV

How does this look? Please be honest, I want to make a good beer! This is the first time I've created my own recipe (first two were kits), so any tips on creating a recipe would be great! I'd like to eventually get into all-grain, but as of now I'm limited to partial-mash because of my apartment size. I figured this IPA recipe would be a good one to "make" myself because of it's limited ingredients.

How does my mash line up look? Also, how long should I steep my mash? And at what mash temperature?

It doesn't have to be an exact clone, I just want a tasty IPA that tastes similar to Two Hearted!

Thanks in advance!!

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: Two Hearted Clone
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 01:34:01 am »
FYI, here is the "official" clone recipe: http://imgur.com/r/Homebrewing/bfITU9X, so you can compare. I'm planning to make this too.

What is kind of funny is the hop additions: @45, @30, and dry-hop. Would it make sense to modernize this recipe, and add hops at the end of the boil, or does this scheme have some additional value?
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 06:11:37 am »
Hey guys,

I'm working on my third brew this weekend. So far I've made an ESB and stout, but now I'm gonna make my favorite variety, IPA. My girlfriend's all time favorite is Bell's Two Hearted Ale. I told her I'd like to make a clone so we can have 5 times as much for a fifth of the price. I like doing partial mashes, and with the research I've done, this is the recipe I've come up with:

Recipe Type: Partial-mash
Yeast: Wyeast American Ale II 1272
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Boil Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.072
Final Gravity: 1.019
IBU: 68
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 9.82
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): at least 4 weeks at 68 F

5.5 lbs DME Light 52.4%
4 lbs American Vienna 38.1%
1 lb American Caramel/Crystal 40L 9.5%

1.00 oz Centennial Pellet [9.50 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Centennial Pellet [9.50 %] (20 min)
1.00 oz Centennial Pellet [9.50 %] (10 min) 
1/2 tsp Irish Moss (10 min)
1/2 tsp Wyeast Yeast Nutrient (10 min)
1.00 oz Centennial Pellet [9.50 %] (FO)
1.00 oz Centennial Whole Leaf [9.50 %] (10 day)

7% ABV

How does this look? Please be honest, I want to make a good beer! This is the first time I've created my own recipe (first two were kits), so any tips on creating a recipe would be great! I'd like to eventually get into all-grain, but as of now I'm limited to partial-mash because of my apartment size. I figured this IPA recipe would be a good one to "make" myself because of it's limited ingredients.

How does my mash line up look? Also, how long should I steep my mash? And at what mash temperature?

It doesn't have to be an exact clone, I just want a tasty IPA that tastes similar to Two Hearted!

Thanks in advance!!

A few things to tweak.  I definitely wouldn't use almost 10% crystal in an extract IPA. I'd cut it back to 7% , and would sub out a lb of Vienna for a lb of sugar. Extract beers tend to not be as fermentable as all grain beers, so the sugar will help offset this and give you a drier, less sweet finish. Also, I would add 2 oz of Centennial at 10, 5, and 0 minutes, to get IPA level flavor.  Next, consider adding a tsp of gypsum to the boil, to bring out the hop character. One more thing -  I would also bump the dry hops up to a more IPA-ish 3+ oz for 7 days. Not trying to be overly critical - this will just be a lot more like Two Hearted. Good luck !
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 06:43:56 am »
I've always thought bells had a very unique flavor. i assumed it must be partially from the yeast....is it really perhaps all the centennial?? I wouldn't have thought so since I've used centennial, just not all on its own.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 06:47:08 am »
Well, their yeast isn't quite as clean as Chico, so there could be a little yeast character there. But it's an all Centennial beer, unlike other IPAs with blended hops.
Jon H.

Offline Kelvard

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 07:20:41 am »
A few things to tweak.  I definitely wouldn't use almost 10% crystal in an extract IPA. I'd cut it back to 7% , and would sub out a lb of Vienna for a lb of sugar. Extract beers tend to not be as fermentable as all grain beers, so the sugar will help offset this and give you a drier, less sweet finish. Also, I would add 2 oz of Centennial at 10, 5, and 0 minutes, to get IPA level flavor.  Next, consider adding a tsp of gypsum to the boil, to bring out the hop character. One more thing -  I would also bump the dry hops up to a more IPA-ish 3+ oz for 7 days. Not trying to be overly critical - this will just be a lot more like Two Hearted. Good luck !

You're not being over critical at all. I really appreciate the feed back. Like I said, I wanna learn how to create my own recipes and advice like this really helps! I have a few follow up questions:

1) Can I just use cane sugar, or is there another you would recommend? Also, do I just put the sugar in the grain sac when I'm steeping, or do I throw it in with the extract during boil?
2) Would the 2 oz of hops at 10, 5 and 0 be in addition to the 20 minute?
3) When do I add the gypsum? I've never used salts before.

Thanks again for the help!

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 07:21:35 am »
Well, their yeast isn't quite as clean as Chico, so there could be a little yeast character there. But it's an all Centennial beer, unlike other IPAs with blended hops.

yeah just thinking out loud. i really do like BTHA; great taste and smell, very smooth and easy drinking. I may have to try the all centennial route and see if that's it or not.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Kelvard

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 07:23:31 am »
I've always thought bells had a very unique flavor. i assumed it must be partially from the yeast....is it really perhaps all the centennial?? I wouldn't have thought so since I've used centennial, just not all on its own.

From what I've read, it is partially their yeast. Bell's has a signature yeast they use, which can be harvested. I would do that for my beer to really give it the Bell's flavor, but I wanna brew on Sunday and won't have time for the harvest.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 07:24:53 am »

From what I've read, it is partially their yeast. Bell's has a signature yeast they use, which can be harvested. I would do that for my beer to really give it the Bell's flavor, but I wanna brew on Sunday and won't have time for the harvest.

From their website:   "Bell's Two Hearted Ale is defined by its intense hop aroma and malt balance. Hopped exclusively with the Centennial hop varietal from the Pacific Northwest, massive additions in the kettle and again in the fermenter lend their characteristic grapefruit and pine resin aromas. A significant malt body balances this hop presence; together with the signature fruity aromas of Bell's house yeast, this leads to a remarkably drinkable American-style India Pale Ale."

fruity aroma really makes me think either a different yeast or fermented warmer.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline forstmeister

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 07:30:04 am »
Northern Brewer has a spot on clone on their site. You can download the recipe and use it without buying their kit too. I think it's called Dead Ringer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 07:30:23 am »

From their website:   "Bell's Two Hearted Ale is defined by its intense hop aroma and malt balance. Hopped exclusively with the Centennial hop varietal from the Pacific Northwest, massive additions in the kettle and again in the fermenter lend their characteristic grapefruit and pine resin aromas. A significant malt body balances this hop presence; together with the signature fruity aromas of Bell's house yeast, this leads to a remarkably drinkable American-style India Pale Ale."

fruity aroma really makes me think either a different yeast or fermented warmer.

I think WY 1272 / WLP051 would be a good choice here.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 07:31:30 am »

I think WY 1272 / WLP051 would be a good choice here.

+1
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 07:32:05 am »

You're not being over critical at all. I really appreciate the feed back. Like I said, I wanna learn how to create my own recipes and advice like this really helps! I have a few follow up questions:

1) Can I just use cane sugar, or is there another you would recommend? Also, do I just put the sugar in the grain sac when I'm steeping, or do I throw it in with the extract during boil?
2) Would the 2 oz of hops at 10, 5 and 0 be in addition to the 20 minute?
3) When do I add the gypsum? I've never used salts before.

Thanks again for the help!

1/  Cane is fine, in the boil.

2/  Yep, in addition.  Your recipe initially would've been fine for a pale ale, now looks more like an IPA.

3/ Add the gypsum in the boil.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 07:38:30 am »
there really is an art to making a 7%abv beer drink like a 5%abv beer. Ive done it with by Belgian Blonde at 7.2%abv. you can knock back a few pints without any indication of the higher ABV...and then it catches up with you! my 76 year old mother loves my BB, and the first time she had a pint and was snockered! she goes easy on it now  ;D
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 08:01:54 am »
Northern Brewer has a spot on clone on their site. You can download the recipe and use it without buying their kit too. I think it's called Dead Ringer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I've brewed the NB kit many times. It's excellent.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'