Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian Dubbel  (Read 5232 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Belgian Dubbel
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 10:14:00 am »

I don't think I've ever used 3787 for a dubbel.  I might have to try it.

There are strains I would avoid for a dubbel, such as the Ardennes strain.  I know there's another but I can't think of it at the moment.

I've got one headed to NHC fermented with the Unibroue strain.  It's quite nice.

Go get a Westmalle dubbel.  3787 is Westmalle yeast, so drinking one will give you an idea of how great it tastes!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 10:17:10 am »
No kidding.  I'll give it a run.

I've always used 3787 for golden strongs.  And for blondes.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 10:18:40 am »

For me, 1388 is golden strong yeast...Duvel territory.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 10:22:45 am »

For me, 1388 is golden strong yeast...Duvel territory.

Now I've got to go check my notes...

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2015, 10:27:33 am »
I do love Westmalle Dubbel, but Rochefort 6 and 8 are no slouch and they're obviously 1762 beers.  But you know you're on the right track when you're brewing Abbey styles regardless. Love those things !
Jon H.

musseldoc

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2015, 06:31:57 am »
The 550/570 blend is growing on me.  I understand it to be what Ommegang uses to make Gnomegang.  It isn't a 'classic'  dubbel profile though if you are looking for competition points.  I think blending the classic strains (500, 530, 540) with 570 in general for dark(er) belgian beers gives them a little more fresh fruit character, like pears, lemons and apples, which I enjoy.  I have to believe those brighter fruit characters are present in the style when you drink them fresh at the abbey, but are lost in their travels across the pond.  Dried fruit characters seem to hold up well to heat and time. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2015, 07:19:02 am »
The 550/570 blend is growing on me.  I understand it to be what Ommegang uses to make Gnomegang.  It isn't a 'classic'  dubbel profile though if you are looking for competition points.  I think blending the classic strains (500, 530, 540) with 570 in general for dark(er) belgian beers gives them a little more fresh fruit character, like pears, lemons and apples, which I enjoy.  I have to believe those brighter fruit characters are present in the style when you drink them fresh at the abbey, but are lost in their travels across the pond.  Dried fruit characters seem to hold up well to heat and time.
Interesting. I was under the impression that Ommegang used their house strain (which isn't available from WL or Wyeast to the best of my knowledge) for all their beers.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2015, 08:19:36 am »
Interesting. I was under the impression that Ommegang used their house strain (which isn't available from WL or Wyeast to the best of my knowledge) for all their beers.

They do use the same yeast for all of their beers. I thought about culturing yeast from their BPA for my recently brewed quad, but I have enough going on already... WLP530 it was lol
Frank

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2015, 11:10:53 am »

Ommegang yeast is super easy to culture from the bottles.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2015, 01:10:55 pm »

Gnomegang was/is brewed with Achouffe's yeast and bottled with Ommegang's yeast. I believe it's the only beer they make that isn't brewed with their house yeast.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2015, 10:20:28 am »
bumping this as my first dubbel batch is going down this weekend.  very excited.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2015, 10:21:34 am »
bumping this as my first dubbel batch is going down this weekend.  very excited.

Great style.  Good luck !
Jon H.