Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Give me cheap beer, or give me sobriety. Just stop this craft beer 'revolution' | Eleanor Robertson  (Read 6345 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/feb/27/give-me-cheap-beer-or-give-me-sobriety-just-stop-this-craft-beer-revolution

Um, is this for real! "Give me the cheapest, crappiest beer." Are there actually people out there saying this?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Stevie

I read that yesterday, but I decided not to share. The headline is click bait for a shallow argument.

Only thing I will agree with is that beers are too expensive. It's not just craft beer, the "crafty" brands sell for about the same premium. I'm tired of $6-7 pints personally. Worse is when a bar doesn't list that a beer is a small pour. Pints are standard, beers sold smaller need to be listed.

Offline cascadesrunner

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Diego, CA
She does make some valid points in her article, but it is simply an opinion piece.  I will happily chip in on the postage if someone wants to box up some sobriety for her :)
Run then beer.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
She is an Australian, and beer -any beer- is very expensive there. Maybe she just wants a buzz?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
I thought the author made a good point but forgot what it was because by the end of the article I was too preoccupied applying mustache wax and fussing over a pumpkin peach ale.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
I got about three paragraphs in and gave up. Just sounded like too much wining about something she wasn't interested in (craft beer) and something she didn't want to change (pub culture.)

I agree that the hipster-craft beer scene can get a little annoying, but I do think it will all balance out eventually and in a lot of ways already is. More and more "Joe Sixpacks" are converting over to craft beer. I see them all the time.

I've never been to Australia but in American, where we have had more of a night club scene than a pub scene I think that craft beer is actually creating a pub scene where there really wasn't one before.

As far as 5-6 dollar pints go, I agree it feels excessive. But until brewers are driving BMWs I don't see that changing any time soon.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing

I read that yesterday, but I decided not to share. The headline is click bait for a shallow argument.

Only thing I will agree with is that beers are too expensive. It's not just craft beer, the "crafty" brands sell for about the same premium. I'm tired of $6-7 pints personally. Worse is when a bar doesn't list that a beer is a small pour. Pints are standard, beers sold smaller need to be listed.

Come to my taproom. 0.5 liter is $4 and that include a sales tax. Still too expensive?
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
I thought the author made a good point but forgot what it was because by the end of the article I was too preoccupied applying mustache wax and fussing over a pumpkin peach ale.

That's awesome. I agree that some of the craft brew nerds have gone off the deep end with the pretensiousness. But good beer trumps rice beer any day, and she can drink whatever suits her.
Jon H.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
She is an Australian, and beer -any beer- is very expensive there. Maybe she just wants a buzz?

cheap gin?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
As far as 5-6 dollar pints go, I agree it feels excessive. But until brewers are driving BMWs I don't see that changing any time soon.
And as long as the 5-6 dollar pints keep selling.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
As far as 5-6 dollar pints go, I agree it feels excessive.

Pints of Sculpin are $9 at my neighborhood bar.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

narvin

This is why we can't have nice things.

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
I am reminded of a line from Jethro Tull's "Thick As a Brick":

"I judge you all and make damn sure no one judges me."
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
As far as 5-6 dollar pints go, I agree it feels excessive.

Pints of Sculpin are $9 at my neighborhood bar.

If I can find a good pint for $5, I'm a happy man.

$4 is even better, but quite rare unless it's a special.

If you want a cheap buzz go buy a handle of Wolfschmidt and some Gatorade.  The hangover is free.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
I am reminded of a line from Jethro Tull's "Thick As a Brick":

"I judge you all and make damn sure no one judges me."
Any thread with a JT quote is OK with me!
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.