Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Give me cheap beer, or give me sobriety. Just stop this craft beer 'revolution' | Eleanor Robertson  (Read 6451 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
As far as 5-6 dollar pints go, I agree it feels excessive. But until brewers are driving BMWs I don't see that changing any time soon.
And as long as the 5-6 dollar pints keep selling.

That's like saying "as long as gas keeps selling for $4 a gallon".  And for the record, we sell mostly 4-5 dollar pints at YHB. But you have to be really careful  not to undercut your retailers by too much or they get pissed and don't sell your beer. It's a very delicate balance.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
As far as 5-6 dollar pints go, I agree it feels excessive.

Pints of Sculpin are $9 at my neighborhood bar.

That, is ridiculous.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
In my area, chain restaurants are more than guilty of selling craft beer at absurd prices. (Wife recently paid $7.50 for a bottle of Dogfish 60 minute.  >:( )

The mom and pop restaurants seem to be much better, usually in the $4-$5ish range, depending on the beer.. The local brewpub also sells their beer for about that much.

Moral of the story: We don't eat at chains when we can help it.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
As far as 5-6 dollar pints go, I agree it feels excessive.

Pints of Sculpin are $9 at my neighborhood bar.

That, is ridiculous.

+1.  A great beer, but damn.
Jon H.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Yesterday. after several hours of ice fishing, I went to the bar for lunch and had a Reuben sandwich with fries, washed down with three pints of PBR.  The bill was $17.50. I was happy.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing

In my area, chain restaurants are more than guilty of selling craft beer at absurd prices. (Wife recently paid $7.50 for a bottle of Dogfish 60 minute.  >:( )

The mom and pop restaurants seem to be much better, usually in the $4-$5ish range, depending on the beer.. The local brewpub also sells their beer for about that much.

This could be because chain restaurants are in food business and beer is just add on.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma

This could be because chain restaurants are in food business and beer is just add on.
Its a stretch to say most of them are even in the food business. They're in the reheating engineered corn syrup and factory farmed meat business.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Yes you are correct.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus

Its a stretch to say most of them are even in the food business. They're in the reheating engineered corn syrup and factory farmed meat business.

we like to go to a local franchise called Panini's. great food and monster selection of craft beers. you can get everyday 16oz draft or 12oz bottle craft specials for $3.50-$4.50, 22oz drafts $5.50.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:36:07 am by Wort-H.O.G. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
There is still a hope. Good to hear.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland

That's the other reason we typically don't eat at chains.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus

if you figure the average 6-pack sells for $9.99 in grocery store , that's $1.65 a beer. selling that beer in a bar for even $3.50 is a nice and fair price - but $5-$7 a bottle or pint.....robbery.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE

if you figure the average 6-pack sells for $9.99 in grocery store , that's $1.65 a beer. selling that beer in a bar for even $3.50 is a nice and fair price - but $5-$7 a bottle or pint.....robbery.

$3.50 maybe gets you a domestic.  Are local prices in Chicago really that much higher than everwhere else?  $5 pints are pretty standard and a good deal for craft beer or imports.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus

$3.50 maybe gets you a domestic.  Are local prices in Chicago really that much higher than everwhere else?  $5 pints are pretty standard and a good deal for craft beer or imports.

well in general the big cities are more expensive that greater cleveland. however, there's always at least a few great places in big cities to find great beer at a great price.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Stevie

When I lived in Davis, there was a burger place that had 2/$5 pints including Sierra, Sierra seasonal, Fat Tire, Lagunitas rotator. That was pretty awesome. The local country dive that had a million TV's for football had $4 pitchers of PBR and ~$11 pitchers of many crafts during Monday Night Football