Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Idaho Homebrewing laws? Competitions  (Read 4037 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Idaho Homebrewing laws? Competitions
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 11:40:48 am »
The people at the enforcement agency  are doing their jobs. They probably drink beer themselves. I don't think attacking them helps and it could hurt. They may be asked to testify in a committee meeting when a new law is proposed. Why make them look bad?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 11:43:07 am »
Absolutely take the high road. What I am saying is make the responsible agency cancel the homebrew comp via some sort of specific written documentation.  That plays much better in the media than a bunch of homebrewers deciding not to have it.  Besides do they "really" respect the law when it clearly says only "native grown products" can be used.   That seems pretty cut and dry...only Idaho hops, barley, yeast and water can be used. Pretty ridiculous

I just don't see the point in going that far until he tries a more conventional route.  You catch more flies with honey, ya know...
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 01:18:08 pm »
Ruby Ridge Homebrew Contest? Has a nice ring to it, but...

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 01:37:52 pm »
Absolutely take the high road. What I am saying is make the responsible agency cancel the homebrew comp via some sort of specific written documentation.  That plays much better in the media than a bunch of homebrewers deciding not to have it.  Besides do they "really" respect the law when it clearly says only "native grown products" can be used.   That seems pretty cut and dry...only Idaho hops, barley, yeast and water can be used. Pretty ridiculous

I just don't see the point in going that far until he tries a more conventional route.  You catch more flies with honey, ya know...
I wouldn't be combative about it, but as a regulatory agency it's their job to tell people if what they want to do complies with law. It basically IS the conventional route.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 03:12:44 pm »
The only Idaho homebrewing law that I am aware of, is that all homebrewed beer must contain a minimum percentage by weight of 20% potatoes.

From your friendly next door neighbor. :)

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 04:32:44 pm »

I wouldn't be combative about it, but as a regulatory agency it's their job to tell people if what they want to do complies with law. It basically IS the conventional route.
I am sure if varies by state but here in CA the ABC is strictly a regulatory agency.  They don't make laws...they enforce the laws.  However the CA ABC has quite a reputation for trying to "make laws" based on how they choose to interpret the law.   So it is not so cut and dry as far as needing to change a law.  Really many, many times all we need is a more favorable ruling not a full blown law change. Of course it is doubtful the ABC will do that just because some homebrewers want a change. That is where the political pressure and media exposure help.  But that DOES mean that someone has to challenge the ABC and not just roll over.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 10:36:36 am »
The only Idaho homebrewing law that I am aware of, is that all homebrewed beer must contain a minimum percentage by weight of 20% potatoes.

From your friendly next door neighbor. :)

Yukon Golden Lager!
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale