Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: With German pils, must have food to pair  (Read 3552 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: With German pils, must have food to pair
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 06:08:25 pm »

I bet that bier is suffig. Hey did you know pumpernickel means "devil's farts"?

I had never seen that, and in German devil = Teufel, so the Nick/nickel thing is new to me, but it might be a German idiom that I am not familiar with. The Young's old Nick with the devil on it is familiar to me, but that was a Brititsh beer.

I found this:
"The true origin of "pumpernickel" is nearly as strange, if somewhat less savory. "Pumpern" was a New High German word similar in meaning to the English "fart" (so chosen because, like the word "achoo," it imitated the sound it described), and "Nickel" was a form of the name Nicholas, an appellation commonly associated with a goblin or devil (e.g., "Old Nick" is a familiar name for Satan). Hence, pumpernickel is the "devil's fart," allegedly a reference to the bread's indigestible qualities and hence the effect it produced on those who consumed it."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

St. Nicholas is the bringer of gifts, and gifts are exchanged on Dec. 6th in Germany. Not a devil by any means. Now the Krampus is another thing all together, on Dec. 5th.

Most references to Old Nick that I can find say it is old English for the devil. How it got to Germany is something I don't know.
My girlfriend's birthday is December 6 and every year we try to find this beer: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/285/776/
Its only brewed on St. Nick's day and sold the following fal/winter. I believe we have had it twice. It was the world's strongest beer for awhile.

Wow high octane for sure at 14%.

Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 06:09:46 pm »
We couldn't find it this past year. Meant to save some from last year but... You know.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 06:34:25 pm »

I had never seen that, and in German devil = Teufel, so the Nick/nickel thing is new to me, but it might be a German idiom that I am not familiar with. The Young's old Nick with the devil on it is familiar to me, but that was a Brititsh beer.
I found this:
"The true origin of "pumpernickel" is nearly as strange, if somewhat less savory. "Pumpern" was a New High German word similar in meaning to the English "fart" (so chosen because, like the word "achoo," it imitated the sound it described), and "Nickel" was a form of the name Nicholas, an appellation commonly associated with a goblin or devil (e.g., "Old Nick" is a familiar name for Satan). Hence, pumpernickel is the "devil's fart," allegedly a reference to the bread's indigestible qualities and hence the effect it produced on those who consumed it."

St. Nicholas is the bringer of gifts, and gifts are exchanged on Dec. 6th in Germany. Not a devil by any means. Now the Krampus is another thing all together, on Dec. 5th.

Most references to Old Nick that I can find say it is old English for the devil. How it got to Germany is something I don't know.
Old English and German are quite close. It was probably the other way around in that the folklore probably moved from Northern Europe to England (think Beowolf). Modern German is related very closely to old English, both Anglo-saxon in origen. Modern English is mostly Anglo Saxon with a strong french influence starting in 1066. If you read an old english version of something familiar, like The Lord's Prayer, it sounds a bit German. If you read Middle English like Chaucer (1300's), it sounds a bit French ("whan that Aprille with his shoure's  sote...) , then once you get to Shakespeare (1600) it sounds, well English.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 07:11:14 pm »

I found this:

Old English and German are quite close. It was probably the other way around in that the folklore probably moved from Northern Europe to England (think Beowolf). Modern German is related very closely to old English, both Anglo-saxon in origen. Modern English is mostly Anglo Saxon with a strong french influence starting in 1066. If you read an old english version of something familiar, like The Lord's Prayer, it sounds a bit German. If you read Middle English like Chaucer (1300's), it sounds a bit French ("whan that Aprille with his shoure's  sote...) , then once you get to Shakespeare (1600) it sounds, well English.

Modern English is a Germanic language that has little resblance to German.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 07:26:08 pm »

I found this:

I think there is quite a bit of resemblance. Much of the vocabulary is close, maybe 60 percent of the same origins but different pronunciations of various vowels, shifts from v to w and p to f etc. mostly there is a more direct grammar than the latin derived languages.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 07:44:37 pm »

I found this:

I think there is quite a bit of resemblance. Much of the vocabulary is close, maybe 60 percent of the same origins but different pronunciations of various vowels, shifts from v to w and p to f etc. mostly there is a more direct grammar than the latin derived languages.
My old medieval lit teacher could go on and on about how William the Conqueror ruined the English language, and Frenched it all up.
Kyle M.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 07:49:10 pm »
I make sauerbraten and look what kind of interesting topic ensued.

Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2015, 07:55:14 pm »

Imagine if you made baba ganouj!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 04:29:09 am »

"If god wanted people to be interesting, he would have made them all homebrewers." Benjamin Franklin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2015, 05:00:09 am »

"If god wanted people to be interesting, he would have made them all homebrewers." Benjamin Franklin

I may have to make a shirt that says that!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2015, 05:02:33 am »

I may have to make a shirt that says that!
Yes! With a picture of Ben Franklin with a handlebar mustache and holding a pint

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2015, 05:32:09 am »
hows about this one: "If god didn't intend us to drink he wouldn't have given us two livers" Benjamin Franklin

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2015, 05:37:20 am »
"Saurbraten is proof that God wants Ken to drink pilsners" Benjamin Franklin.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2015, 05:43:35 am »
"Eat all the sauerbraten you like, but go easy on the pumpernickel bread - you'll fart your brains out."  Benjamin Franklin's German cousin.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2015, 05:52:20 am »
"Eat all the sauerbraten you like, but go easy on the pumpernickel bread - you'll fart your brains out."  Benjamin Franklin's German cousin.
For some reason I picture his German cousin as Sargent Schultz.