Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kefir lime leaves; hops combo  (Read 2255 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Kefir lime leaves; hops combo
« on: March 01, 2015, 02:13:37 pm »
I have some stuff I want to use up while its fresh, kefir lime leaves and american hops. I want to make an ipa with the kefir lime leaves. Anyone do this? Or have ideas? I'm not sure how much. I'm thinking they will go in the fermenter a couple days before bottling. They smell fantastic which is what I want to capture.
Also, any ideas of what combo of hops of these would work best? : galena, crystal, summit, centennial, cascade, amarillo. I'm looking for a firm but not harsh bitter and aromas that will stand up to the keffir lime aroma but not clash.
I have't made any IPA's in a while so this should be fun.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Kefir lime leaves; hops combo
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 02:43:39 pm »
I have some stuff I want to use up while its fresh, kefir lime leaves and american hops. I want to make an ipa with the kefir lime leaves. Anyone do this? Or have ideas? I'm not sure how much. I'm thinking they will go in the fermenter a couple days before bottling. They smell fantastic which is what I want to capture.
Also, any ideas of what combo of hops of these would work best? : galena, crystal, summit, centennial, cascade, amarillo. I'm looking for a firm but not harsh bitter and aromas that will stand up to the keffir lime aroma but not clash.
I have't made any IPA's in a while so this should be fun.

Motueka hops have a definite lime character. Past that, Keith puts kefir leaves in his wit. He's the expert there.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 02:51:47 pm »
I do a blonde ale with lime zest and lemongrass. I use centennial hops and I think the combo is great. That may not be the best comparison for what you are trying to do.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 04:58:52 pm »
Good to know but not going to HBS first so working with what I got.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 05:00:35 pm »
Actually that might be s good comparison. Lime leaves have a similar pungency as lime zest.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 05:04:46 pm »

As for hops, you couldn't go wrong bittering with Centennial and finishing with Centennial and Amarillo. Citrusy hops would complement the citrusy lime leaves really well.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 05:16:22 pm »

As for hops, you couldn't go wrong bittering with Centennial and finishing with Centennial and Amarillo. Citrusy hops would complement the citrusy lime leaves really well.
Sounds good Jon. I'm usually about balance but I think this time I'll go for an all out citrus assault. I suppose the balance will be in a good malt backbone.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 05:21:18 pm »

Sounds good Jon. I'm usually about balance but I think this time I'll go for an all out citrus assault. I suppose the balance will be in a good malt backbone.

Yep, sounds great. FWIW, I love some Munich in IPAs, usually 20%, while holding crystal to maybe 5-6%. Gives a nice malt balance without the overly sweet crystally character. Sounds like a good beer.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 05:23:15 pm »
Ive not experimented with hops and lime leaves much. I don't have any recommendations. I do recommend some flaked barley. The lime leaves mess with head retention some. And a little goes a long way. In use about 30 grams per 372 gallons. And the bad news is some are more potent than others. You will have to determine how much to use each bactch with experience. And even that is hard to nail down.

How do you plan on processing them? I puree them in a blender with some hot water or wort. Add them at flame out.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 05:58:08 pm »
Ive not experimented with hops and lime leaves much. I don't have any recommendations. I do recommend some flaked barley. The lime leaves mess with head retention some. And a little goes a long way. In use about 30 grams per 372 gallons. And the bad news is some are more potent than others. You will have to determine how much to use each bactch with experience. And even that is hard to nail down.

How do you plan on processing them? I puree them in a blender with some hot water or wort. Add them at flame out.
I actually wondered about head retention. Something about their pungency suggests lots of oils to me, so yes, definitely flaked barley. I like your idea of pureeing, I didn't think of that. Its like roughly chopping herbs to release their aroma. How about adding that to a hopstand? What about " dry leafing" a couple days before bottling? Thanks for the amount info. I had a feeling that a light hand is neede to avoid turning it from a citrus bomb into bug repellent (citronella).

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 06:00:14 pm »

Yep, sounds great. FWIW, I love some Munich in IPAs, usually 20%, while holding crystal to maybe 5-6%. Gives a nice malt balance without the overly sweet crystally character. Sounds like a good beer.
Exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for. Malty but not sweet. Not trying to make sprite.

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 03:10:11 am »
Careful when using lime leaves. The essential oils they'll release into your beer tend to be harsher and less pleasant than what your experience in nice Thai food dish. You may very well end up with a brew which smells and tastes like exotic dishwasher liquid.
And yes, that's first hand experience, that :)
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 04:58:32 am »
Yes, use a light hand. But if the balance is right it can be very, very nice. I love them in my Belgian White. If you over do it you come away with exactly as the above poster described - dishwasher soap.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 08:43:55 am »
I thought I had some munich but don't. I have Vienna but not enough to get to 20%. I'm thinking 80 % 2 row, 15% Vienna, and 5% 10L carmel. and oh yea, flaked barley. I guess I'll be giving 110% like coaches say. Maybe 1.065-70. I think that will get me malty but not sweet with a dry finish.
I absolutely will be using the lime leaves sparingly. I'm thinking bittering with a combo of centennial and galena then doing a hopstand with centennial, Amarillo and cascade. I'll chop up the lime leaves in a processor with hot wort and add to the hopstand. I'll take a gravity sample a week later and taste to see if it wants some more dry hops or lime leaves.
This could be real good or real bad. Its a 2.5 gallon batch and I'll be bottling two batches this week so its a good time to take a chance. I've been concentrating on simplicity and classic styles lately so a little playing around will be fun.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 09:00:15 am »
I thought I had some munich but don't. I have Vienna but not enough to get to 20%. I'm thinking 80 % 2 row, 15% Vienna, and 5% 10L carmel. and oh yea, flaked barley. I guess I'll be giving 110% like coaches say. Maybe 1.065-70. I think that will get me malty but not sweet with a dry finish.
I absolutely will be using the lime leaves sparingly. I'm thinking bittering with a combo of centennial and galena then doing a hopstand with centennial, Amarillo and cascade. I'll chop up the lime leaves in a processor with hot wort and add to the hopstand. I'll take a gravity sample a week later and taste to see if it wants some more dry hops or lime leaves.
This could be real good or real bad. Its a 2.5 gallon batch and I'll be bottling two batches this week so its a good time to take a chance. I've been concentrating on simplicity and classic styles lately so a little playing around will be fun.
Since there isn't a lot active in this category I thought it would be OK to bump this up and say since there are quite a few people here who are really into making IPA's I would love what people think of this outline of a recipe.