Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Outer Space IPA  (Read 2740 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Outer Space IPA
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 01:08:32 pm »
Apollo + Galaxy should be nice. Another "space" themed hop that you might be able to get your hands on is Southern Cross.

+1.  And I've come around to Apollo big time. I shied away from it for awhile after having a couple single hop Apollo beers that were pretty onion-y.  But on my last big YVH order I picked up some Apollo among others and I'm really liking the resiny, orange/citrus thing. And I got none of the onion character out of these hops.
Jon H.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 01:56:30 pm »
I've been looking around for the hops because my LHBS doesn't have apollo of pioneer. I can't find a single place online that has pioneer hops. I only know the places you guys suggest, but nobody had them.

Pioneer might be tough to find, but Apollo and Galaxy will make a great IIPA. I'd go with somewhere around 8-12 oz of hops total, roughly 1/3 of that in the dry hop. Nothing wrong with either grain bill; I personally like ~5% medium crystal.

Good advice.  Don't let folks completely scare you off of the crystal.  Just use it with a light touch and know why you're adding a particular grade.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 04:02:18 pm »
Good advice.  Don't let folks completely scare you off of the crystal.  Just use it with a light touch and know why you're adding a particular grade.

I agree, Steve. I like crystal with a light touch - I just think it gets way overdone. Too much of a good thing. I like 5% in IPA, even 7% in APA, then dried out with gypsum. I'm more of a 'crystal limiter' than a hater.  ;D
Jon H.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2015, 09:47:12 am »

I agree, Steve. I like crystal with a light touch - I just think it gets way overdone. Too much of a good thing. I like 5% in IPA, even 7% in APA, then dried out with gypsum. I'm more of a 'crystal limiter' than a hater.  ;D

Everything in moderation. Except peat. :)
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified