Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thoughts on Black IPA recipe  (Read 8324 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Thoughts on Black IPA recipe
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 06:40:17 pm »
One thing that I've never understood about brewers wanting to avoid roastedness in a black IPA. Isn't that most of the point in making it black? If you're not wanting any roasted flavor in your black IPA, why not just make an IPA. Somebody please set me straight if I'm missing something lol.
I agree. It's no different than adding green food coloring to your beer on St Patty's Day.

Semantics of hoppy porter vs Black IPA aside, I think you need at least a little bit of roast otherwise I don't see the point. Personally, I like the combo of citrus and roasted coffee/chocolate quite a bit. It can be overdone, but I like a good amount of roast in my Black IPA's.

I like the green beer analogy. I can't see the point of just a dyed beer, either. I think the best black IPAs are a little better attenuated and a little less roasty than a porter, and obviously way the hell hoppier.  But with a discernable roast.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 07:00:32 pm »
Ok, so I'm not completely crazy... Well, that still might be debatable lol... But like Jon and Eric hinted at, I don't think it needs to be stout roasty, but there should be hints of roast that compliment the hops. I like nice piney/dank/resinous hops in my black IPA. Hmmm could a black IPA be complimented with some Equinix, Jon? I've not tried the hop in a beer yet, but it smells like it should work here.
Frank

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 07:04:24 pm »
One thing that I've never understood about brewers wanting to avoid roastedness in a black IPA. Isn't that most of the point in making it black? If you're not wanting any roasted flavor in your black IPA, why not just make an IPA. Somebody please set me straight if I'm missing something lol.
My point is by adding the dark candisyrup you not only get a dark color, but also nice flavor. A flavor that I prefer over roast with American citrusy hops. I don't have a problem with roast flavor or even some in a black IPA, but like it better in a stout. Most IPA recipes don't have dark candisyrup, so it is different than making just an IPA.
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 07:04:34 pm »
Oh yeah. It'd be tasty, Frank.  And for the record, I could see the Candi syrup working there. It'd give color, flavor and help attenuate.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 07:06:40 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 07:10:10 pm »
My point is by adding the dark candisyrup you not only get a dark color, but also nice flavor. A flavor that I prefer over roast with American citrusy hops. I don't have a problem with roast flavor or even some in a black IPA, but like it better in a stout. Most IPA recipes don't have dark candisyrup, so it is different than making just an IPA.

I wasn't so much questioning this technique. It's different, and it's probably not for me, but you are adding another element to the beer other than just making it black. I don't get adding certain dark grains through sparge or cold steep to avoid roast and just add it for coloring. To me, there's no point. Just make it not black if you're not adding anything to it but color.
Frank

Offline -Liam-

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 08:20:48 pm »

I agree. It's no different than adding green food coloring to your beer on St Patty's Day.

Oooh Eric, as an Irishman there's one thing that grates deeply and that's people calling St. Patrick's Day "St. Patty's Day". That needs to stop!  ;)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 08:40:48 pm »
I agree that this is a great flavor combo. I'm a big fan of it myself. But the end result, while similar in color, is a different animal than what is typically referred to as a Black IPA. It's more like a Dubbel IPA (not to be confused with a Double IPA)

While we're on the subject - try your Candi Syrup IPA with a yeast like 1762 or 3864 and a dash of Special B some time. The flavors meld together surprisingly well.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 08:47:43 pm »
If Black IPA is roasty then isn't it just an American Stout?
Brian
mobrewer

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 09:31:07 pm »
I also don't think there's anything wrong with using sinamar, in principle (though I've never used it).  It's made from malted barley so it's no different than malt extract as far as where it comes from.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 03:43:03 am »
If Black IPA is roasty then isn't it just an American Stout?

No. An American stout is clearly a stout. A black IPA is still dry like any pale beer with hints of roastedness. We're talking 2-4 oz of chocolate, not 2 lbs. Has anybody drank a commercial black IPA? Uinta Dubhe... Founders Dark Penance... Firestone Walker Wookey Jack.... These are a few good ones. They have light roastedness and clearly aren't stouts.
Frank

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2015, 04:27:43 am »
Ok. Before this thread gets out of hand and into another nomenclature battle (even though there is a clear line between black IPA/American porter/american stout  :P) lets get back to the OP.

I think your beer will be very good as is. I personally would sub out the carahell, oats, and cararoma for some C40 or C60 and add 2-4 oz of chocolate. Don't be afraid to go crazy with the hops in this style (I used 18.5 in my last BIPA... Overkill maybe lol). Other good hops IMO for this style are chinook, Simcoe and Galaxy in addition to what you have. Definetely dry hop. Mash between 150-152. If you're into water, boost your sulfates to around 250 ppm and there will be no mistaking this beer for another style. I've used 001 and 007 yeast in mine before. Both made great beers, so 1098 will work well.

Black IPAs are great transition beers for spring and fall. Good timing on this one!
Frank

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2015, 05:02:58 am »
2-4 oz. of chocolate and some oats are good.  13-14 oz. of carafa seems like too much unless it is cold steeped.   The roast character in a Black IPA should be light.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2015, 05:25:49 am »
2-4 oz. of chocolate and some oats are good.  13-14 oz. of carafa seems like too much unless it is cold steeped.   The roast character in a Black IPA should be light.

I guess that's where we differ in opinion. I use 14 oz of dehusked carafa special III in mine. It adds very minimal roast. Because of the almost non-existent roast character from this alone, I've started adding the touch of chocolate.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2015, 05:41:04 am »
No. An American stout is clearly a stout. A black IPA is still dry like any pale beer with hints of roastedness. We're talking 2-4 oz of chocolate, not 2 lbs. Has anybody drank a commercial black IPA? Uinta Dubhe... Founders Dark Penance... Firestone Walker Wookey Jack.... These are a few good ones. They have light roastedness and clearly aren't stouts.

+1.  Aside from roastiness, a definite difference in attenuation/body.  Those are great beers - Wookey Jack is insanely good.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2015, 06:57:53 am »
Great Lakes Bridge War Black IPA...very tasty....but alas, you must come to Cleveland and visit GL pub to enjoy.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: