Author Topic: Thoughts on Black IPA recipe  (Read 6697 times)

Offline -Liam-

• Cellarman
Re: Thoughts on Black IPA recipe
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2015, 07:23:08 am »
2-4 oz. of chocolate and some oats are good.  13-14 oz. of carafa seems like too much unless it is cold steeped.   The roast character in a Black IPA should be light.

I guess that's where we differ in opinion. I use 14 oz of dehusked carafa special III in mine. It adds very minimal roast. Because of the almost non-existent roast character from this alone, I've started adding the touch of chocolate.

Should I replace 2oz of the Carafa Sp.III with 2oz of chocolate?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2015, 07:36:26 am »
2-4 oz. of chocolate and some oats are good.  13-14 oz. of carafa seems like too much unless it is cold steeped.   The roast character in a Black IPA should be light.

I guess that's where we differ in opinion. I use 14 oz of dehusked carafa special III in mine. It adds very minimal roast. Because of the almost non-existent roast character from this alone, I've started adding the touch of chocolate.

That's pretty much what I do.  2-3 oz Chocolate.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2015, 08:14:25 am »

That's pretty much what I do.  2-3 oz Chocolate.

Yup
Frank

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 08:15:40 am »
Great Lakes Bridge War Black IPA...very tasty....but alas, you must come to Cleveland and visit GL pub to enjoy.

I've not had that. I was last there in November. I need to make another trip soon. And hit up the Westside Market.
Frank

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2015, 09:17:18 am »
One thing that I've never understood about brewers wanting to avoid roastedness in a black IPA. Isn't that most of the point in making it black? If you're not wanting any roasted flavor in your black IPA, why not just make an IPA. Somebody please set me straight if I'm missing something lol.

IMO, there IS no point in making it black.  If you get roastiness, it conflicts with the hops.  If you don't, what's the point of just making it black?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2015, 09:31:50 am »
Great Lakes Bridge War Black IPA...very tasty....but alas, you must come to Cleveland and visit GL pub to enjoy.

I've not had that. I was last there in November. I need to make another trip soon. And hit up the Westside Market.

its really good. they perfected the smooth roast and hops balance..55 IBU. i know people will say roast and hops = bad, but they nailed it.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2015, 09:57:08 am »
My secret weapon in my Black IPA is Candisyrup D-180 and some Carafa III. I don't like a lot of roast, but rather a hoppy, dark fruit flavor.

Thanks Dan, I am going to give that a try.  Although I have the D-90....perhaps not as good as the D-180?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2015, 12:19:32 pm »
IMO, there IS no point in making it black.  If you get roastiness, it conflicts with the hops.  If you don't, what's the point of just making it black?
I'm with Denny on this one. I have had a few examples that I greatly enjoyed, but I just can't get behind this style overall. Absolutely nothing against those that are into this style.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2015, 12:38:15 pm »
I'm with Denny on this one. I have had a few examples that I greatly enjoyed, but I just can't get behind this style overall. Absolutely nothing against those that are into this style.

I understand both of these reasonings. If you're not a fan of the roast and the hops combo, you choose not to make it black at all. I just don't get not liking the combo of roast and hops and just make it black to make it black.

It's one of my favorite styles and one of the best beers that I brew.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2015, 12:56:58 pm »
If you're not a fan of the roast and the hops combo, you choose not to make it black at all. I just don't get not liking the combo of roast and hops and just make it black to make it black.

Same here.

EDIT -   As a schwarzbier fan, I still have to ask - what is schwarzbier if not primarily a dyed black helles with a touch of roast ?  Black IPA is a dyed black IPA with a touch of roast. Other than the obvious misnomer, I think black IPA gets a bad rap. To each his own.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 01:06:22 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2015, 12:59:05 pm »
I understand both of these reasonings. If you're not a fan of the roast and the hops combo, you choose not to make it black at all. I just don't get not liking the combo of roast and hops and just make it black to make it black.

It's one of my favorite styles and one of the best beers that I brew.
Agreed. Personally, I don't think that hops necessarily conflict with roast. It's like garnishing espresso with a strip of lemon peel. Another example - many of the best chocolates out there have fruity undertones that go great with a balanced roast character (Madagascan terroir often shows up as a bright lemonade flavor). The thing is - it's all about balance. A pound of Roast Barley and 100 IBU of Chinook sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Personally, I prefer the roastier beers in the style as long as the hop character leans towards the citrus side with moderate bittering. Heavy Seas Black Cannon and Widmer Bros Pitch Black come to mind.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2015, 05:41:30 pm »

I also don't think there's anything wrong with using sinamar, in principle (though I've never used it).  It's made from malted barley so it's no different than malt extract as far as where it comes from.

Word of caution. Too much sinemar will give you ash flavor.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2015, 05:57:23 pm »

I also don't think there's anything wrong with using sinamar, in principle (though I've never used it).  It's made from malted barley so it's no different than malt extract as far as where it comes from.

Word of caution. Too much sinemar will give you ash flavor.

I wouldn't plan on using it as the only source of color.  I would use 2-4oz. of chocolate and 6-8oz carafa special II.  Maybe just as a color adjustment.  I used 12oz carafa special II in my black IPA and it was too roasty. 

I'm drinking Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous and there's practically no roast. None in the aroma and just a hint in the background that blends with the hops.  I'm definitely cutting back on the roast next time as it clashed with the C hops and seemed like an American Stout.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2015, 06:00:19 pm »
I like Midnight Wheat for it - it has the least roast. And then add 2-3 oz chocolate for the touch of roast.
Jon H.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2015, 06:04:52 pm »

I like Midnight Wheat for it - it has the least roast. And then add 2-3 oz chocolate for the touch of roast.

Do you mash the midnight wheat and chocolate as normal? I've been contemplating adding the roasted malt during the sparge.
Brian
mobrewer