Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thoughts on Black IPA recipe  (Read 8319 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: Thoughts on Black IPA recipe
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2015, 06:09:38 pm »

I like Midnight Wheat for it - it has the least roast. And then add 2-3 oz chocolate for the touch of roast.

Do you mash the midnight wheat and chocolate as normal? I've been contemplating adding the roasted malt during the sparge.

Going to get mostly color with little else contributing if removed from the mash

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2015, 06:10:24 pm »

I like Midnight Wheat for it - it has the least roast. And then add 2-3 oz chocolate for the touch of roast.

Do you mash the midnight wheat and chocolate as normal? I've been contemplating adding the roasted malt during the sparge.

I mash it all together, but in this case it's probably not a bad idea to just toss it in at the end of the mash. Honestly though, the midnight wheat is so mild, even mashed, it comes off really mild.
Jon H.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2015, 07:30:32 pm »

I also don't think there's anything wrong with using sinamar, in principle (though I've never used it).  It's made from malted barley so it's no different than malt extract as far as where it comes from.

Word of caution. Too much sinemar will give you ash flavor.

I wouldn't plan on using it as the only source of color.  I would use 2-4oz. of chocolate and 6-8oz carafa special II.  Maybe just as a color adjustment.  I used 12oz carafa special II in my black IPA and it was too roasty. 

I'm drinking Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous and there's practically no roast. None in the aroma and just a hint in the background that blends with the hops.  I'm definitely cutting back on the roast next time as it clashed with the C hops and seemed like an American Stout.

I like to keep dark malts under 5%. Chocolate and pail chocolate is a fine compliment to Carafa Spetzial II.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2015, 07:28:38 am »
Bringing home growler full of Ellicottville Brewing Company black IPA. The call it Black Hops. Just the right amount of roast and cascade makes this 6% abv 55ibu beer very easy and smooth to drink.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2015, 07:53:35 am »
If you're not a fan of the roast and the hops combo, you choose not to make it black at all. I just don't get not liking the combo of roast and hops and just make it black to make it black.

Same here.

EDIT -   As a schwarzbier fan, I still have to ask - what is schwarzbier if not primarily a dyed black helles with a touch of roast ?  Black IPA is a dyed black IPA with a touch of roast. Other than the obvious misnomer, I think black IPA gets a bad rap. To each his own.

What is Schwarzbier? A black Pils.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2015, 07:56:49 am »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2015, 08:05:47 am »

Yeah, that would've been a better description. And love the Wookey Jack. That is a great beer.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2015, 08:37:32 am »

Yeah, that would've been a better description. And love the Wookey Jack. That is a great beer.

I had it in Vegas. They have really good beer. I haven't seen any of them in Ohio... Not sure they distribute here.
Frank

Offline -Liam-

• Cellarman
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2015, 03:33:00 pm »
Just to update on this recipe - I slightly undershot my OG and got 1.066 but it was my first brew that I monitored my PH, which I got to 5.4 at room temp. Now I'm wondering if this has been the secret key to making really awesome homebrew, because the first bottle I've tried is truly wonderful! On my first taste I didn't really know what to expect and thought "Whoah that's way too hoppy and bitter!" but as I sipped away at it, it just got better and better. Very hoppy but very balanced. Not a hint of 'Homebrew flavour' and I think I have to say, my finest brew to date. Never again will I underestimate the importance of PH!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2015, 03:45:38 pm »
Just to update on this recipe - I slightly undershot my OG and got 1.066 but it was my first brew that I monitored my PH, which I got to 5.4 at room temp. Now I'm wondering if this has been the secret key to making really awesome homebrew, because the first bottle I've tried is truly wonderful! On my first taste I didn't really know what to expect and thought "Whoah that's way too hoppy and bitter!" but as I sipped away at it, it just got better and better. Very hoppy but very balanced. Not a hint of 'Homebrew flavour' and I think I have to say, my finest brew to date. Never again will I underestimate the importance of PH!

Yep, pH is huge in all grain beer. Nice job!
Jon H.