Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Forum Regulars in Mag  (Read 2828 times)

Online pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Forum Regulars in Mag
« on: March 01, 2015, 06:18:44 pm »
Nice to see Martin Brungard's article, Steve Rusch's piece at the end, and Dan Flick's work on the mead yeast experiment. No wonder this forum is so usefull! Good work. Hope I didn't miss anyone. Or mispell anyone's name.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Forum Regulars in Mag
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 06:09:28 am »
heh funny.  Someone randomly came up to me and showed me that at the homebrew club meeting last night.  I had no idea. ;-)

FYI it's Fick  ;D
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 09:17:10 am »
heh funny.  Someone randomly came up to me and showed me that at the homebrew club meeting last night.  I had no idea. ;-)

FYI it's Fick  ;D
Yep, I was lazy there.
Great mead yeast experiment. I liked the way that they laid out the tasting notes from the mead in the chart. I think I will likely reference that and compare it to my own experience. I typically age mead for 18 months before bottling so I think I have less of an issue with a couple strains that were "hot".

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 09:50:02 am »
Yeah it was an interesting experiment.  The hot aspect was present in most of the meads because they were mostly bone dry and fermented without temp control due to the sheer volume of mead they made.  I think the focus should be on honey character present and other esters etc present.  The yeast that really surprised me was the ICVD254.  I was quite surprised it was as dry as it was because it certainly didn't taste that dry.  I have a cyser and a cider aging right now made with it purely because I was impressed from this experiment.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 03:53:09 pm »

FYI it's Fick  ;D
And Ruch. People trying to pronounce my last name often add an s, among other letters.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 03:55:36 pm »

FYI it's Fick  ;D
And Ruch. People trying to pronounce my last name often add an s, among other letters.
I think you can imagine what the other popular misspelling of my name is.  I'll give you a hint... it's what it actually means in German lol.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 03:56:46 pm »

FYI it's Fick  ;D
I think you can imagine what the other popular misspelling of my name is.  I'll give you a hint... it's what it actually means in German lol.

Funny stuff !
Jon H.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 03:57:48 pm »
Me either. I submitted my piece several months ago and had no idea it would be in the current issue until I saw it.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 09:46:33 am »
Me either. I submitted my piece several months ago and had no idea it would be in the current issue until I saw it.

I had something similar happen to me when my pic was in an issue this past summer (July I think).  I found out about it by receiving an email from one of the LHBS owners congratulating me.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 12:03:51 pm »

I had something similar happen to me when my pic was in an issue this past summer (July I think).  I found out about it by receiving an email from one of the LHBS owners congratulating me.

Same here - gadgets issue a couple of years ago. Found out via Facebook. Same story when they use my bar build on their facebook page or the gin bucket somewhere.

Hey AHA/BA - is this something you guys could work on? It's a bit odd finding out that your face/work was published in a magazine via the grapevine.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 01:06:55 pm »

FYI it's Fick  ;D
I didn't want to mention this but whenever I see your screen name my dirty mind sees dkfick as a compound word made out of two nasty ones. But that's probably just me...

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 10:48:20 am »
Hey AHA/BA - is this something you guys could work on? It's a bit odd finding out that your face/work was published in a magazine via the grapevine.

And surprising to see it when you didn't know it was coming. I really like the pleasure of looking forward to seeing something that I wrote in print. The previous piece they published of mine was preceded by signing a release so I knew it was coming and about when. 
Although bottom line: getting it printed, so I am not going to complain.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 11:28:53 am »
My ugly mug is in the mead article's group shots from the day we mixed the must and pitched the yeast. Old guy in the red shirt.

Mrs. R didn't recognize one guy we know who's picture was in Gary Glass's article about speaking and judging in Brazil. It was Gordon Strong, in a hat and sunglasses.

Good to see so many that I have met in this issue.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!