Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The wonderful rainbow of German Lagers  (Read 2604 times)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
The wonderful rainbow of German Lagers
« on: March 01, 2015, 07:25:04 pm »
Took gravity samples of three German lagers today before I cold crashed for lagering.

I gotta say, I'm pretty impressed with the clarity of these guys. Especially before lagering. Had to share.

Pilsner on the left, Maibock in the middle, Oktoberfest on the right. We are gonna have some tasty beers on tap in the next few weeks!  :D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 06:07:32 am by AmandaK »
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: The wonderful rainbow of German Lagers
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 07:28:31 pm »
Those are beautiful!!

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 07:40:24 pm »
Gorgeous. That Pilsner reminds me that a world exists that is not below feezing and covered with snow in which I would love a cold, crisp lager. Thanks for sharing!
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 07:47:47 pm »
Those look great!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 08:01:19 pm »
Gorgeous. That Pilsner reminds me that a world exists that is not below feezing and covered with snow in which I would love a cold, crisp lager. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks guys. And Pete, I can drink a Pilsner during any weather. :) I love them and I'm surprised it took me this long to make one.

I tried a slower version of the "fast lager method" on these. The Pils may need a touch of lagering, but I'm tempted to just set the other two up on tap already and "lager" them in the serving keg. :)
Amanda Burkemper

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 08:05:55 pm »
Thanks guys. And Pete, I can drink a Pilsner during any weather. :) I love them and I'm surprised it took me this long to make one.

I tried a slower version of the "fast lager method" on these. The Pils may need a touch of lagering, but I'm tempted to just set the other two up on tap already and "lager" them in the serving keg. :)
Ha, i can drink a Pilsner in any weather too but if you were here you would be fantasizing about that one on the left with beads of condensation on the glass as your sitting on a dock in July with your feet hanging in the water...
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 09:10:57 pm »
Awesome!  Beautiful looking beers.

I always chuckle at the "Big Circle" we homebrewers make.  We start out with the BMC swill, discover craft beer - usually pale ales, Irish Reds, or Wheats, then we discover hops & IPA, then somewhere in there are the Scottish ales, porters and stouts.  Then, we discover the Belgians!  Next is sours. Somewhere in here we're drinking anything and everything with a gravity over 1.070.  Doppelbock catches our attention.  Then, we start getting burnt out on the intensity of all the sour stuff and all the big beers.  So, it starts turning to the lagers - Schwarzbier, Marzen, and Vienna.  Eventually, we work our way back to Helles, Dortmunder, and Pils, which is kinda where we started, though nobody ever goes all the way back to the swill.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 03:54:11 am »

I always chuckle at the "Big Circle" we homebrewers make.  We start out with the BMC swill, discover craft beer - usually pale ales, Irish Reds, or Wheats, then we discover hops & IPA, then somewhere in there are the Scottish ales, porters and stouts.  Then, we discover the Belgians!  Next is sours. Somewhere in here we're drinking anything and everything with a gravity over 1.070.  Doppelbock catches our attention.  Then, we start getting burnt out on the intensity of all the sour stuff and all the big beers.  So, it starts turning to the lagers - Schwarzbier, Marzen, and Vienna.  Eventually, we work our way back to Helles, Dortmunder, and Pils, which is kinda where we started, though nobody ever goes all the way back to the swill.
Hey, don't knock swill. Its not easy to make a really good one.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 05:22:49 am »

Hey, don't knock swill. Its not easy to make a really good one.
Ha!  "Really good swill"
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 06:07:12 am »

Wow, those are pretty! 

Next year you need a schwartzy to finish it off.  ;)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 06:10:08 am »
Gorgeous beers, especially before lagering.  Obviously your process is pretty spot on.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 06:25:10 am »

+1

I am now making some bitter and mild, those are tasting pretty good these days.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 06:42:10 am »
1 - I'd like to do a schwartzbier here soon, but I really need to brew a Munich Dunkel ASAP. The club members and friends are getting pretty rowdy about it not being on tap! Hopefully I can get them all on tap at the same time for another family picture.

2 - I'm really into sessionable beers too. Pils, Helles, Dunkel... oh wait. It's just German lagers. I love 'em!
Amanda Burkemper

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 06:42:51 am »
ah crap, I keep forgetting to send the schwarz recipe.  I sorry.

...looking good.  Those all your efforts, or is there a Myles beer in there?

rabeb25

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 06:45:17 am »
I have pretty close to the same thing going on....

Helles, Pilsner, Ofest and Dunkel