Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's the key to a real nice red coloring in an Irish ale.?  (Read 5159 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: What's the key to a real nice red coloring in an Irish ale.?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 03:04:54 pm »
I always used an oz or two of roasted barley to make an amber colored beer look more red. But I've never used Red X. Want to soon.
I have plans for a 100% Red X sour as soon as it warms up around here. Red X to about 1.055, lacto for a week at 98.6º and finished with Brett L. Dry hopped with something interesting like Mosaic and Simcoe. I'm stoked for the new style guide, which will really open up the American sours.

That sounds great. Love the color on that pic of yours. And I think I remember you liking the flavor quite a bit, right?
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 08:53:53 pm »
I always used an oz or two of roasted barley to make an amber colored beer look more red. But I've never used Red X. Want to soon.
I have plans for a 100% Red X sour as soon as it warms up around here. Red X to about 1.055, lacto for a week at 98.6º and finished with Brett L. Dry hopped with something interesting like Mosaic and Simcoe. I'm stoked for the new style guide, which will really open up the American sours.

That sounds great. Love the color on that pic of yours. And I think I remember you liking the flavor quite a bit, right?
Ya it was like an english bitter but with a guiness ish ester profile. I forget exactly how much hops but guessing it was about 25-30 ibus of EKG

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 01:57:28 am »
Oh and homoeccentricus? Dany Prignon from Fantôme brewed an Irish Red Ale last summer. Perhaps if you ask nicely he'll share his recipe?
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 09:06:32 am »
Oh and homoeccentricus? Dany Prignon from Fantôme brewed an Irish Red Ale last summer. Perhaps if you ask nicely he'll share his recipe?

I'm not the one asking for a recipe ;-) Plus I'm not the biggest fan of this kind of liquid-caramel-beer-with-a-nice-color. I was in Dublin end of last year, tried a few, and found them only so-so. Just personal preference...

But, as always, I wouldn't mind trying the f*-up Fantôme red ale, that's self-evident. I assume it was made with the house saison yeast?
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 12:48:25 pm »
Only place I've found red x in Midwest area is farmhouse out of Wisconsin .
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 06:42:06 am »
Red X is a best malts product. County Malt group is carrying it for wholesale accounts it group buys.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com