Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oh what a relief it is......  (Read 3057 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Oh what a relief it is......
« on: February 11, 2015, 12:02:33 pm »
A pal and I started a club in our community back in 2008.  The next closest club was over 60 miles away.  He puttered out after about a year, and at some meeting meetings we had but 3-4 folks.  We considered shutting it down.  But stuck with it.  Then in 2011, a LHBS opened in town, and agreed to host meetings.  Our club now has about 300+ folks on the email list, and about 35 paid members.  Usual attendance is about 20 folks.  We are starting to outgrow the LHBS. 

Anyway, I have been part of the leadership from the beginning.  I don't think most folks really understand the work involved in running a club.  In 2014, I stepped down from any leadership role, but SWMBO was elected president, so that, of course, included my participation.  It's now 2015, and we have completely new leadership.  I haven't missed a meeting yet. 

But oh what a relief it is to know I don't HAVE to go to the meeting this Sunday.

(although it is a bit like you child going off to college, LOL)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Oh what a relief it is......
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 12:05:57 pm »
Congrats on birthing and raising a your c[l]ub.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 12:18:13 pm »
Congrats !
Jon H.

Offline cascadesrunner

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Diego, CA
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 01:45:36 pm »
Nice work!  Even in college a little guidance is required to keep them on the path, but it is generally a lot less hands on.  PAWA is a great location for a club.
Run then beer.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 02:49:27 pm »
I don't think most folks really understand the work involved in running a club.

^^I know this to be a fact. Source: Board member for 3 years now.

Congrats on passing on your baby to a new group! May they treat it with the same care are respect that you have.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 05:03:12 pm »
I'm there right now Mic. After assuming the reigns in 2008 with a handful of members meeting at homes, we've grown the club to 36+ members. It's a bundle of work. Last month I announced it was my last year as prez. If they wanted the club to continue, then someone needed to step forward and shadow me for the year so they could take over in 2016. Reluctantly, someone finally volunteered, when I assured them I'd be right behind them propping them up where ever necessary. I want to concentrate on educational activities for the club and sometimes I'm just too darn busy with the rest of the agenda to get anything put together. The friendships formed and social activities are fun, but it's really nice to take some new bit of knowledge home from each meeting as well. So, I'm looking forward to getting away from leading the meetings, but hope stepping down means I'll have time to bring more value to membership.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 05:57:18 pm »
I was President of the Falcons for 4 years and I've been on the board since 1999, so yeah.. apparently I have issues. :) (and a very good crew of folks doing things as well)

Good on you for being able to keep it motoring and keep it safely spinning enough that it's stable.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline SiameseMoose

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 06:07:32 pm »
We found that introducing a term limit of one two-year term for the President, and adding past-President as a Board position, greatly increased the participation of more members in club management. I think it's because it's more apparent that we're inclusive, and it's not just a narrow group that makes all the decisions. I just became past president. Just in time  ;D

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 12:23:18 pm »
Thanks for all the nice words folks, I do feel good about the club and it's future.  The folks taking over the leadership are fairly new to the club, and like mentioned above, both SWMBO and myself have volunteered to mentor them in any way they see fit. 

This Sunday will be the first meeting for them to lead.  I'm sure I'll end up there to lend support, and heckle them from the back of the room. LOL

(Plus even though I sell my beer now, there's one guy in our club that brews much better beer than I do, and I love drinking his stuff)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 12:42:17 pm »
Long ago our club realized we couldn't just elect leaders...we needed to coerce them!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 03:38:00 pm »
At our club the Prez is in office for one calendar year, then the VP steps in to Prez the next year.
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 08:09:40 am »

Long ago our club realized we couldn't just elect leaders...we needed to coerce them!
I was recently at the receiving end of one of those recruitment talks.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 09:53:24 am »

I was recently at the receiving end of one of those recruitment talks.

I'm lucky in that nobody in our club wants me to be prez!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 09:54:01 am »
At our club the Prez is in office for one calendar year, then the VP steps in to Prez the next year.

we can't come up with suckers...er, candidates....that quickly.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 09:33:37 am »
Well, I went to the meeting last Sunday, and the new folks did great.  Another guy like me (1bbl commercial system) gave a talk on hop utilization.  I didn't necessarily agree with every point he made, but I kept quiet, and let the group ask questions.  There were even three new faces. 

And they guy who's beer I really like brought a rye IPA (your recipe Denny).  Quite tasty.