Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aaaargh!  (Read 4748 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Aaaargh!
« on: March 02, 2015, 05:11:22 pm »
Decided to track my NHC entry. Due to deliver tomorrow but there was a note that it was damaged in Portland and contents discarded. How frustrating. Thankfully if I ship by thursday it should still get there in time. I think I won't write fragile on it this time. The way I packed it someone would have had to throw it overhand at a concrete wall to break it. Probably exactly what happened.  Aaaargh!

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Aaaargh!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 05:18:59 pm »
Sorry Jim
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 05:35:40 pm »
That really sucks, Jim. Hopefully you can get the next shipment there in time.
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 05:39:01 pm »
That's a big bummer, sorry for your loss.....
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 08:48:11 pm »
Fortunately it looks like I'll make it. Good thing I have spares. I'm looking at this as a hurdle rather than a roadblock. Hoping the results match my optimism

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 09:15:05 pm »
That sucks.... but, at least you had shipped it early and were tracking it and prepared to ship again - good organization on your part.  I bottled off enough to resend everything if I needed too.  Shipped mine out today, hoping it has safe travels to St. Louis.  Hoping your next shipment makes it as well...... It will just make for a better story when you get your medal :)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 04:13:43 am »
Thanks for the emotional support everyone. I'm packing the replacements now

Offline ScottBeh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 05:40:57 am »
If you use UPS, you can increase the insured value to $1000 for not much more money. Ive never had breakage since.   That way they take it off the standard conveyors and handle it with more care, I was told.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 06:03:45 am »
Mine went out yesterday and is due to arrive in Philly by the end of day tomorrow.  I've only had one breakage in shipping beer to comps, and an email was sent to me a week after it arrived at it's destination, i.e. someone knocked it off the counter or something.

I'd be careful with the UPS insurance.  If you have to file a claim, they will probably deny it since shipping alcohol privately is against their policy.  I'm sure they know what's going on when a ton of boxes get sent to a homebrew shop or brewery, but it would be their out on the claim.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 06:42:15 am »
A friend's brother works for a certain three lettered delivery company. We paid him and a couple of his coworkers to help us unload the trucks when we moved to Indy last year. First thing he says to his buddys, "remember this is not work. Be careful with his stuff".  :-\

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 06:42:50 am »
In this package each bottle is wrapped in bubble wrap and then the box is over stuffed with extra bubble wrap. It should sustain a drop of fifty feet this time.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 07:04:47 am »
In this package each bottle is wrapped in bubble wrap and then the box is over stuffed with extra bubble wrap. It should sustain a drop of fifty feet this time.
I love the electronics bubble wrap (pink stuff) you can get at Home Depot.  It tears off in 12" strips which is perfect for wrapping a bottle.  Then they all get put into a plastic bag and put into a bubble wrap lined box, with more bubble wrap, newspaper, etc. (no Styrofoam peanuts).  I actually have to hold down the lid as I'm taping it.  Nothing inside moves.

Good luck with this shipment and in the first round!
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline ScottBeh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 04:51:59 pm »
 I would never file a G note claim for 6 whatever beer bottles.  And I am sure they would never pay it.  The extra insurance just makes them handle your package differently (how cool is having your package handled differently?). I started using the insurance after they broke a 750ml packed in one of those uline pro wine shippers, and it was double boxed.  No breakage since.  Coincidence maybe.

What really sucked when they broke the stock on my Dad's heirloom shotgun I sent back to Winchester for repair.  That one cost them.  Luckily Winchester carried the extra insurance and helped out too.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 09:51:53 pm »
My local parts store (UPS ship location) stepped up and covered the cost of second shipment without me even asking them to. Small towns suck usually but in situations like this they shine.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 02:00:35 pm »
Mine were just delivered today.  Now begins the painful process of waiting for over a month before they are judged.  I see Austin is judging next week...so expect to see all the rants about "why can't the results be released as soon as they are available?".

Nothing I have submitted will benefit from rebrewing (just the opposite actually) so I can wait...it's just painful. :)
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo